Follica Annual Reports And Accounts April 2017

mghrs

My Regimen
Reaction score
You have a great image of women. I am not surprise at all of your envious and poor behavior. Just so you know, '"hot chics"' are and will never be for you.
Having said that this part of the forum is New Research, Studies, and Technologies, not the "'I never had a girl in my life, but I would be with Miss Universe with hairs please, help me"'.
actually my point was that even with hair you cant be with a model. no need for a dislike and an attack buddy, Relax. what I said is not an image of women, it is very true.what envious and poor behavior did I present ?

Min0

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
am i the only one here who don't want to keep his hair just for of dating reasons ?
hairloss is much worse than that, it is literally watching your character DIE FOR EVER. if you become bald it's like living your life with just your skeleton.
you will not only be invisible to women, but to the whole society, you'll be a FREAK. no matter what you are, you'll always be THAT BALD GUY.
people abandon their life projects/careers/studies and sometimes kill themselves over this.
stop linking baldness to women /dating please so the world of research will look to our tragedy differently.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
am i the only one here who don't want to keep his hair just for of dating reasons ?
hairloss is much worse than that, it is literally watching your character DIE FOR EVER. if you become bald it's like living your life with just your skeleton.
you will not only be invisible to women, but to the whole society, you'll be a FREAK. no matter what you are, you'll always be THAT BALD GUY.
people abandon their life projects/careers/studies and sometimes kill themselves over this.
stop linking baldness to women /dating please so the world of research will look to our tragedy differently.

No you are definitely not the only person who feels that way.
I think many feel the same as you.

nameless

Banned
Reaction score

Hair loss is the death of the person that you were.

Saleen

My Regimen
Reaction score
I used to come visit this website because it was nice to get updates on the progress in this medical field but now you guys are just depressing and dragging everyone down in your negative emotions (which gets irrational at times). I get it, baldness sucks, but pessimism doesn't help anything. But anyways some people will never change and this is why online forums are bad most of the time.

I think a better approach is focusing on the things over which you have control today. No great achievement has been accomplished by a pessimist.

Saleen

My Regimen
Reaction score
Totally agree with you @Xaser94. You know what's funny? I just recently realised a troll was actually an established phenomenon with its own wikipedia page. I can finally put a name to why I found internet forums particularly bad, which is unfortunate since sometimes you find interesting little information gems.

Saleen

My Regimen
Reaction score
Anyways before heading back to my hustling while optimistically waiting for the new treatment, I will leave you guys with this video about Rox Anderson TED talk speaking about silver bullets. Just type rox anderson silver bullet in google you're gonna realise the genius of this guy, and also realise the link with follica's novel approach. Btw what better than gaining back hair in a few years (most probably with follica?). I say gaining back hair while getting rich at the same time. That's why I snatched up some PRTC stock before market realises the potential of Follica on Puretech's cash flow. An IPO would be a possible exit strategy for Follica. I would compare the ensuing company to the current ALGN company (Invisalign) which became very mainstream. Just look at the performance of Align Technology in the past few years. Phenomenal. Cheers

Noisette

Established Member
Reaction score
An interview of Dr. Cotsarelis by the University of Pennsylvania (Penn Medecine) - Jan 2017. Not news but it's nice to see that.

Some quotes :
“Essentially, we can manipulate wound healing so that it leads to skin regeneration rather than scarring,” said George Cotsarelis, MD

“The secret is to regenerate hair follicles first. After that, the fat will regenerate in response to the signals from those follicles.”

“The findings show we have a window of opportunity after wounding to influence the tissue to regenerate rather than scar,”

“Our findings can potentially move us toward a new strategy to regenerate adipocytes in wrinkled skin, which could lead us to brand new anti-aging treatments,” said George Cotsarelis, MD

source
: https://www.pennmedicine.org/news/n...y/using-fat-to-help-wounds-heal-without-scars

cotsarelis1_large.jpg
cotsarelis2_large.jpg

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
An interview of Dr. Cotsarelis by the University of Pennsylvania (Penn Medecine) - Jan 2017. Not news but it's nice to see that.

Some quotes :
“Essentially, we can manipulate wound healing so that it leads to skin regeneration rather than scarring,” said George Cotsarelis, MD

“The secret is to regenerate hair follicles first. After that, the fat will regenerate in response to the signals from those follicles.”

“The findings show we have a window of opportunity after wounding to influence the tissue to regenerate rather than scar,”

“Our findings can potentially move us toward a new strategy to regenerate adipocytes in wrinkled skin, which could lead us to brand new anti-aging treatments,” said George Cotsarelis, MD

source
: https://www.pennmedicine.org/news/n...y/using-fat-to-help-wounds-heal-without-scars

View attachment 52231 View attachment 52232

"but hairloss research is a waste of time! It's taking away from cancer research and sh*t!"

nameless

Banned
Reaction score
I used to come visit this website because it was nice to get updates on the progress in this medical field but now you guys are just depressing and dragging everyone down in your negative emotions (which gets irrational at times). I get it, baldness sucks, but pessimism doesn't help anything. But anyways some people will never change and this is why online forums are bad most of the time.

I think a better approach is focusing on the things over which you have control today. No great achievement has been accomplished by a pessimist.

So then you're saying that rather than allowing negative viewpoints into discussions we should create an echo chamber of posters who only say positive things about pending hair loss treatments. I disagree. I would rather hear from all sides of these issues and then come to my own conclusions.

Last edited:

nameless

Banned
Reaction score
nameless, here you have your beloved expanding fat. see it in the pic noisette posted?

OK there is truth to that.

But I also think that the fat layer shrinks as we age so when follicles prompt fat layer to enlarge a 19 year old's fat layer will enlarge more than a 35 year olds fat layer, or a 40 year olds fat layer, or a 45 year olds fat layer will because a 19 year old's fat layer starts out larger before being prompted by follicles to enlarge than the other older people's fat layers do.

Skin thickness shrinks over time as we age. I used to work in a nursing home when I was in my later teens and I saw people in their 70s and 80s with skin so thin it was like paper. They could get serious dangerous cuts from minor bumps.

Last edited:

Saleen

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think the biggest question is whether follica's approach will work to induce neogenesis at the back of the head in the DHT resistant zone. Just imagine for a second: you transplant most of your donor area, then regenerate your donor and repeat the process. There is your cure.

Nadia1972

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
OK there is some truth to that.
Skin thickness shrinks over time as we age. I used to work in a nursing home when I was in my later teens and I saw people in their 70s and 80s with skin so thin it was like paper. They could get serious dangerous cuts from minor bumps.
Perhaps.Then ,why old people with a so thin skin have always their hair ?

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think the biggest question is whether follica's approach will work to induce neogenesis at the back of the head in the DHT resistant zone. Just imagine for a second: you transplant most of your donor area, then regenerate your donor and repeat the process. There is your cure.

Based on my understanding of what is known about wounding = hair, it relies on epithelial stem cells. It can either be skin or hair wherever there is skin. So the back should grow just as well as the front. I get the sense that this is hoped to be an alternative to transplants, though.

but only they could know for sure at this point.

nameless

Banned
Reaction score
InBeforeTheCure posted a link to the study. I will soon respond to the points you've raised That_Guy and Joachim.

nameless

Banned
Reaction score
To support my posit that we may not see a cure for hair loss for many years and that there are still technical problems to be solved I will copy and paste quotes from the recent HairLossTalk.com interview with Team Tsuji.

Mr. Toyoshima is a rep of Team Tsuji. Please note that below in item 1 he states that there is still a tech issue to be solved and he refers to that tech issue as a "significant challenge globally". In other words, this is not a minor problem and researchers the world over are having the same problem. I admit that he says Team Tsuji has some ideas how to solve these problems and he expects to solve these problems soon, but to this point no statement has come from Team Tsuji stating that the problem is solved. And it is common for researchers to say that they have ideas for solving tech problems but then it doesn't happen. I've read tons of positive assessments from researchers over the years and so far it has all fizzled out.

1. Mr. Toyoshima: For applications of our technology, both mesenchymal stem cells and epithelial stem cells, which are applicable to human clinical applications, are needed. With respect to the development of the technology to cultivate mesenchymal stem cells, that is papilla cells, being applicable to human clinical trials, we are already in progress now for development. On the other hand, as for the technology to cultivate epithelial stem cells of follicles, it still remains a significant challenge globally. We are currently in the middle of research and development for this. Based on our recent research results, we finally have some prospects and expect this issue to be resolved in the near future.

Here is another statement by Mr. Toyoshima where he says that this problem is a major problem and it involves making the necessary amount of cells while retaining the safety and functionality of the cells. In other words, INDUCTIVITY. This is the same problem all scientists all over the world are having with hair cells and researchers have been trying to solve this same INDUCTIVITY problem for years and years. And they always sound optimistic but this is a B-I-G problem. This problem is why Replical only arrested hair loss and regrew small amounts of hair. And the same as this problem prevented Replicel from growing lots of hair it can also prevent Tsuji from growing lots of hair.

2. Mr. Toyoshima: Yes, as I mentioned earlier, we consider the development of the technology to culture epithelial stem cells as the most significant issue we face. In order to regenerate a clinically effective number of follicles, a sufficient number of cells need to be secured while satisfying the safety and functional requirements. These are tough challenges, so also pose major issues to us.

Here below is another key point stated by Mr. Toyoshima from Team Tsuji and he is saying exactly what I've been saying. He says that since the cells will come from your donor area this means that the new hairs will be the same as your donor hairs. Now keep in mind that many of us with hair loss are seeing some thinning even in our donor area. And many of us who aren't seeing thinning in our donor areas YET will at some point in the future. This means that even if Tsuji solves his inductivity problem and you get new hairs from it, the new hairs would eventually get thinner over time the same as your donor area will.

3. Mr. Toyoshima: For regeneration of hair, the most important thing is whether hair can be regenerated or not rather than gene expression. In this sense, we conducted animal testing to regenerate hair and analyzed its form, and the internal structures which characterize hair. Further, we analyzed hair growth cycles. Hair grows and falls in cycles and in certain intervals between growth and resting phases. So we conducted analysis on these patterns. These analyses indicated that the form, internal structure, and especially hair cycle of regenerated hair will typically match all those traits from the follicles where the cells were originally collected. These factors are the most critical factors in defining the length and width of hair. As we succeeded in regenerating all of these factors, we feel that we have succeeded in regenerating all the characteristics which largely contribute to formation of naturally growing hair. We have succeeded in regenerating hair similar to the original normal hair.

The interviewer, Mr. Keiko, delves further into this issue by raising the issue that some people's donor area will also thin over time and asks if there is a way to solve this problem. Here is Mr. Keiko's question:

Interviewer Keiko: Certain individuals with advanced androgenetic alopecia experience significant miniaturization of follicles and extensive loss on the sides and back of the head. This is the typical location for donor follicles for transplants and with your therapy. As a result, these donor follicles may be extensively affected by Androgenetic Alopecia prior to the procedure. What can these people expect from your therapy?

Below is Mr. Toyoshima's response. Please note that Mr. Toyoshima acknowledges that some people's Androgenetic Alopecia will advance and their donor area hair will thin. It's my contention that if and when this happens then their newly implanted hairs will also thin. This is the second issue I raised as a problem. I have said that there are 3 problems. Two of those problems are (1) INDUCTIVITY and (2) continued Androgenetic Alopecia regression in the donor hair resulting in thinning of newly implanted hairs.

4. Mr. Toyoshima: This question rather relates to the Androgenetic Alopecia clinical condition; therefore, I believe it would be more appropriate for a physician to talk about this. However, I can provide you with an answer from a biologist perspective. It is thought that the site of Androgenetic Alopecia onset is already determined in the stage wherein the follicular organ is generated, and follicular papilla cells store information such as destiny, determining the site of male pattern alopecia onset, to a certain degree. Consequently, follicles on the back of the head and those on the front of the head will have different destinies, and it is thought that patients with alopecia develop the disease in a specific site in this manner. As the disease gradually progresses, follicles on the back of the head and also those on the side of the head also become miniaturized. However, even though the disease has progressed into those areas, there is still a large number of normal follicles left. Based on this, we are currently conducting a human-tissue study using dermal tissues collected from the back of Androgenetic Alopecia patients’ heads in order to verify the possible number of normal follicles which can be collected from such areas, and whether cells collected from such areas have the function needed for follicular regeneration, etc. So far, we have found out that there is a large number of normal follicles on the back of Androgenetic Alopecia patients. We believe that collecting the cells from such areas will definitely result in regeneration of normal follicles.

Here below Mr. Toyoshima again talks about lost "functionality" (aka INDUCTIVITY) when culturing cells. He says he can culture DP cells without losing functionality but he still can't culture epithelial stem cells without losing "functionality". He's saying that he's having the same inductivity problems that everyone else is having. He sounds optimistic but he doesn't say that the problem is solved. Also, it's common for researchers to sound optimistic. What really matters is when they say that a problem is, in fact, solved. He isn't saying that yet and researchers have been wrestling with this problem for numerous years.

5. Mr. Toyoshima: Generally speaking, it is said that there is a limit to stem cell proliferation. It is generally known that the stem cell function is lost with proliferation, therefore yes, there is limit to stem cell proliferation. In case of human follicular papilla cells having the function as the mesenchymal stem cells, the stems cells can be multiplied by several thousands of times in 3 weeks when we use our technologies. On the other hand, as for the epithelial stem cells, as I mentioned earlier we are still in research for this, therefore there is only a small number of human cases. Consequently, an accurate value for this case is yet to be determined in the near future. However, collectively from these researches, we think that we may be increase follicles at least by about 1,000 times.

Last edited:

nameless

Banned
Reaction score
#meaningless #useless #nameless

Tsuji confirms at least 2 of the 3 problems I cited:

1. He says functionality is still a problem. By functionality he means inductivity and inductivity is one of the big problems I cited. INDUCTIVITY, INDUCTIVITY, INDUCTIVITY, INDUCTIVITY.

2. He affirms that many, maybe even all, Androgenetic Alopecia patients will thin in their donor area and when they thin in their donor area newly implanted hair put into their recipient/balding area will also be affected because the cells used to create the newly implanted hairs will come from the donor area. This means that even if Tsuji finds the solution to the inductivity problem the newly implanted hairs will still thin over time the same as the donor area hair thins over time.

These 2 issues (INDUCTIVITY & Androgenetic Alopecia thinning of donor hairs) are 2 of the 3 problem issues I've cited and Team Tsuji confirms that I have a valid point regarding these 2 problems.

Last edited:

nameless

Banned
Reaction score
I don't blame nameless, but I. Lame who responds to his pessimism

You don't blame me for what? For telling the truth and being right? Why would you even consider "blaming" someone for telling the truth and being right? Tsuji's own team acknowledges 2 of the 3 problems I've cited. What is your problem dude?

Last edited: