Follica - Good News!

goata007

Established Member
Reaction score
Would any of you with different kinds of peeling acids (TCA and such) mind putting a few hairs in the solution and just report back what happens after long exposure?

peels can be used safely by men on their faces, if there were any issues peels wouldn't be recommended for men. So I'm certain it won't do anything to hair. Btw, there is a user "Scalpskin lady" (or something like that) on regrowth forum and she has been doing scalp peels for a while on her scalp (with hair) and she never mentioned anything about damage to hair.

However, I would strongly recommend you to avoid TCA and Phenol peels, these are very strong peels. The Follica patent talks about stratum corneum, that's the upper layer of epidermis. And a salycylic acid peel (10-20%) should take care of it without any chance of scarring.

As of peel vs dermabrasion. I think peels make you skin peel because they sort of mimic sun burn and puts your skin into repair mode. Dermbrasion just wound the skin (as in it just removes the upper layers), so you'd probably be left with pinkish skin for a while. I'd personally go for a peel, as it also helps rejuvenate the skin - which in our case is very important.

Salycylic acid (SA) peels are available online and you can buy them easily.

Would be of great help - I'm pretty anxious to just get started on a larger scale. If studies and what we've been told in a round-about-way are correct (and they should.. they *are*, really) , scalp dermabrasion alone gives some regrowth and perhaps more importantly, seem to lure sleeping hair back into their active phase.
So even if the whole WnT/EGFR-inhibition deal falls out, we still have that. And that's atleast documented to work in humans.

I think the most important step of the Follica procedure is 'wounding'. That alone should be sufficient to give 'some' regrowth. Especially, when the person is on finas/dutas. That way the immune system would be 'sort of' down and would give the body a chance to repair/regenerate the follicle.

As of plucking, I think it's important because removing hair from root (plucking/waxing, NOT shaving/hair removal creams) causes the hair follicle to go into the anagen (hair growing) phase. Which is beneficial because the vellus hair have a significantly long telogen phase (months), waxing/plucking them would put them straight back into anagen phase and speed up the process.

michael said that the patent mentions plucking hair 2-3 days before the procedure. This way all the hair would be in anagen phase, combined with signicantly less DHT and wounding should create a really good environment for follicle regeneration. We definitely need someone to experiment with this (on a small area), the good thing is with this technique the person doesn't need to get on EGF inhibitors (the dangerous stuff).

why not, for the first attempt, try without an EGF inhibitor? and try it on both temples, maybe dermabrade small portion of one temple and peel small portion of the other. This way we'll see which shows better response plus if there are any pigmentation issues, we'll find out about that as well.

Orion, I really appreciate you trying this...I'd be willing to give it a shot too but I shave my head so any peels etc would raise a lot of questions. However, if this thing works out for you, then I'd definitely give it a shot on my entire scalp. Also, please do take clear before pictures so we can asess the result.

Orin

Established Member
Reaction score
lol, you're always looking out for me when I get into crazy peel territory ;)

Still, you can dillude TCA, and for that there could be multiple modes of usage. I'm not old enough to have developed any real wrinkles as of yet, but I can definately see where some might form in the future. I'm a big fan of multi-use stuff too. I've spent a few hours checking up on how to apply TCA, and it seems that once you hit 35% you run a high risk of scarring. 10-20% is used for acne-treatment, whereas a good medium peel lie around 25-30%.
This is very important to keep in mind, of course. Especially as TCA can be bought online for very little money, and in very high doses. One site I found sold 100%. I hope they carry a lot of instructions. Considering we have instructions on how to open a bag of peanuts, I shudder to think how 100% TCA is handled when unleashed into the general public.

I searched around (previous to your post) for answers from scalplady and such posts, but non really told of TCA. It's no surprise really - until about 3 months ago, there was no real reason to put acid on your scalp. Pioneering is so frustrating ;)

Also (and I'm incriminating myself for asking this, as I should know the patent verbatim by now), doesn't the patent keep their level of dermabrasion as fluent as their rules for after-treatment?
Kinda like a covering-all-your-bases modus operandi, as many patents do.

I know that peels of this kind are used on the face, but beard hair looks, feels and behaves differently from scalp hair. My beard hair is much thicker and of a completly different color-palette than my scalp hair, so it stands to reason that it can withstand much more damage. Also - beard hair is something most people shave off as quickly as it appears, making damage to it a non issue.

Or maybe I'm thinking too much about the sci-fi concept of acid, as in corroding *everything* it touches. Still, I know that certain harsh chemical treatments for hair such as bleaching agents (an acid, is it not?) can with repeated uses make hair fall out in big chunks. Don't know much about it really, I'm just relaying what I pick up from aesthetically geared reality shows. Who am I to argue against veteran hair-dressers?

If I'm asking incredibly dumb questions, then you just have to forgive me. If for nothing else, I am asking them now, so that knowledge is out on the table and nobody else has to wonder. In case you didn't catch it, I am using dermabrasion and peel (unwisely) without much differentation here.
Still, I think we need a (bloodless) wound, as opposed to just a skinburn-peel. The trick is of course to find the perfect level just beyond repair, and a foot into regeneration. Perhaps I should pour over the two or three other experiments on rats that resulted in hair-growth, and see if there's anything to gain.

I was lying in my bed sortof musing over it all, and I wondered to what degree Follica's method (and ghetto-versions of it) is actually creating new hair, and to what degree it's just waking them up. There is now *alot* of data (including one done by one of the founders of Follica, prior to Follica's formation) that all say that damage of the skin - to what capacity we do not know - is a strong alarm-clock to dormant hair.

I guess the net-result will be the same, but it would be discouraging for people with advance hair-loss if the majority of the effect is just kick-starting old hair, as some of that hair may be beyond a wake-up call. What I continue to fail to understand, is how embryonic activity on a very surface level of the skin, can lead to formation of actual hair deep down in the skin. Is the new hair created on the surface in reaction to lithium and whatnot, and then migrate down? Does communication on the skin merely give the body strong instructions for creation?

Seeing how it seems Follica themself barely have a real explanation as to why it happens, I doubt I'd have any chance of figuring it out. But there is something with the whole procedure that makes me think waking up sleeping hair is a much bigger component in the overal effect, than actually creating new hair.

But then again, I know very little. And the human body is strange. I wonder to what capacity stuff like minoxodil actually work in the sense of having their own unique capacity and effect, and to what effect they just irritate the skin enough to awake dormant hair.
Hopefully you won't have to disturb the skin as frequently as minoxodil (if the analogy holds true).

I don't think you have to really worry about experimenters.. actually the last month or so there seems to be atleast 10 people on various boards doing variations of this. And those are only the visible ones. I'm kinda strapped for cash as is, but I did take 5-6 photos (as best I could) of temple areas. If I get anything cosmetically substantial, it should show up even on a crappy photo. I now also have a before-photo, which I lacked the last time around.

I'll probably buy some TCA or perhaps something similar, and test it out on most part of the scalp. Haven't decided if I want to add lithium and green tea extract as a twice-daily wash yet. Probably need some DMSO to get it to absorb, so there's that to purchase also.
My front seem to rapidly go the way that my temples have gone, and I guess that spurrs me on. The "new" hair from needling that I took photos of are still going strong though. Still thinner than the rest, but they're all pretty long now. So I guess that's good news.

The beauty of this whole procedure (and science) is that not only is it simple, but given some modification, lie within reach of pretty much everyone. So getting people into an enthusiastic and experimental mode doesn't require much cheerleading to begin with. It also serves for an excellent source of alternative (and cheap) ways to perform the procedure, which give a pretty good mark on what works and doesn't - even though the why oftentimes get alittle clouded.

And it's something practical to do - instead of waiting as hair slowly fall off in rapid succession.

goata007

Established Member
Reaction score
lol, you're always looking out for me when I get into crazy peel territory ;)

:agree:

Also (and I'm incriminating myself for asking this, as I should know the patent verbatim by now), doesn't the patent keep their level of dermabrasion as fluent as their rules for after-treatment? Kinda like a covering-all-your-bases modus operandi, as many patents do.

There definitely is something about this scalp abrasion and it doesn't have to be really deep either. When I started balding I heard of shaving head with a blade (very abrasive) as a good remedy of baldness. I did have my head shaved 3 times but back then I was NW1 so it's hard to say if I got any regrowth. Plus I wasn't on any DHT inhibitor either so maybe I did get soem regrowth and then lost it. :dunno:

I know that peels of this kind are used on the face, but beard hair looks, feels and behaves differently from scalp hair. My beard hair is much thicker and of a completly different color-palette than my scalp hair, so it stands to reason that it can withstand much more damage. Also - beard hair is something most people shave off as quickly as it appears, making damage to it a non issue.

Or maybe I'm thinking too much about the sci-fi concept of acid, as in corroding *everything* it touches.

That's why I told you to start off with mild peel and as far as I know, these acids don't bleach skin because they don't penetrate deep enough. They just sunburn the upper layers of skin. The only peel I know that can cause pigmentation issues in skin is Phenol peel. And i'm quite sure that TCA peel or SA peel in high concentrations would do the same damage. So better to start with something in 10-20% range.

Still, I know that certain harsh chemical treatments for hair such as bleaching agents (an acid, is it not?) can with repeated uses make hair fall out in big chunks. Don't know much about it really, I'm just relaying what I pick up from aesthetically geared reality shows. Who am I to argue against veteran hair-dressers?

These acids aren't bleacing agents. Bleaching agents usually end with "oxide" - they oxidize the stuff they come in contact with. Hence hydrogen peroxide (used for bleaching hair) and benzoyl peroxide (used for treating acne, known to have bleaching effect as well).

Google for "peel before after" and go through the results. You'd clearly see skin being much better & healthier looking after the peel. One thing which I strongly believe in, is that we don't get much regrowth in bald areas because of scalp exposure to sunlight and such, thus damaging the scalp and creating a bad environment for hair to regenerate. Rejuvenating the skin should provide a healthier environment to the follicle.

Still, I think we need a (bloodless) wound, as opposed to just a skinburn-peel. The trick is of course to find the perfect level just beyond repair, and a foot into regeneration. Perhaps I should pour over the two or three other experiments on rats that resulted in hair-growth, and see if there's anything to gain.

Peels are bloodless too, with the exception of Phenol - these are deep peels. The reason I recommend peels over dermabrasion is because with dermabrasion there is a risk for uneven abrasion and hence scarring or uneven results. Peels are just a gel-like solution and hence easy to apply and produce consistent results. And from what i've heard they are better in rejuvenating the skin.

I guess the net-result will be the same, but it would be discouraging for people with advance hair-loss if the majority of the effect is just kick-starting old hair, as some of that hair may be beyond a wake-up call. What I continue to fail to understand, is how embryonic activity on a very surface level of the skin, can lead to formation of actual hair deep down in the skin. Is the new hair created on the surface in reaction to lithium and whatnot, and then migrate down? Does communication on the skin merely give the body strong instructions for creation?

In really old people the hair are probably dead. However, in most young people they are just minitaurized. I'm NW6 @ 26, and I've vellus hair all over my NW1 area with uniform thick density. In my case, it's all about rejuvenating them and I'd be all set. As of formation of follicles and WNT signalling, watch this video by Elaine Fuchs (one of the team members of Follica)

http://www.ascb.org/ibioseminars/includes/player.cfm?name=fuchs&num=2

Inconsistency: From what i've heard lithium increases WNT signalling which supposedely is good for hair, however, I was reading about oral lithium and it is known to cause hair-thinning - which doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

I don't think you have to really worry about experimenters.. actually the last month or so there seems to be atleast 10 people on various boards doing variations of this. And those are only the visible ones.

Can you PM the links to those threads where people are talking about this?

I'll probably buy some TCA or perhaps something similar, and test it out on most part of the scalp. Haven't decided if I want to add lithium and green tea extract as a twice-daily wash yet. Probably need some DMSO to get it to absorb, so there's that to purchase also.

That's what I'd recommend that you first attempt wounding only and see if anything happens. There really is no sideeffect for doing that and it will give us an idea about what to expect from wounding. Worst case scenario, you'd have a healthier scalp!

michael barry

Reaction score
If any people are interested in wounding, they should try to emulate the patent as closely as possible...................paying special attention to example 7 (the human skin experiment).

I would take all the adjunctives INTERNALLY. Lithium chloride was used as a replacement table salt for a while (it has long-term toxicity though). Lithium MIMICS wnt signalling, it doesn't up it.

The patent is entirely doable at home................the deplilation, the wounding three days later, the EGF-inhibitors-dutasteride-loniten-anti-histamines-lithium chloride could all be taken daily about two days post wounding for about 10 straight days...............with no shampooing or any "anti-infective" substance touching the scalp for a good two weeks.

It blows my mind so many guys "want to try it" but want to put their own "spin" on it. You would be wise to do it as closely as possible as to how the patent states its to be done and how the experiments were done.

I wish Follica would hurry up and get their experiments started, but in fact we might have something to do with that. I dont think they ever thought hairloss forums would be alive with men who actually read the patent and were ready to try it at home. I look for them to be rather secretive from here on out, and if the trials go well--not to let us know much. Im pretty sure they'd like to "spring" their product out there instead of the public knowing the trial went well and there being a year gap before its availed in dermatolgists offices. That would give the average Joe's too long to try it at home, and find that they could do it themselves. Make no mistake, if the wounding does work on human beings.................you could do it at home, their is no reason for a Doctor to do it. Sandpaper can abrade skin.

goata007

Established Member
Reaction score
Update on Lithium: it causes hairloss indirectly because it can lead to lower thyroid function.

The reason I want Orin to just start with wounding is for safety and to avoid adverse effects. Once that's done then maybe he can try by adding a drug that makes most sense and so on. Going all-out the first time has a very high risk associated with it - and personally I would never do it myself.

I think going on a DHT inhibitor (finas/dutas) and then about a week or two later plucking the hair and 2-3 days later wounding the skin should be the first attempt. As the main component attacking follicle is toned down with finas and hair are set to anagen mode. If that doesn't do much, then for the second attempt lithium chloride could be taken orally as well and so.

Actually, the other day I was wondering about Follica wanting to be more secretive as well. I'm quite sure they'll avoid publishing anymore patents now. They'd probably start the trials and once they have a possible candidate then they'll proceed with patent. On the good side, that means that if someone on these boards figures out this procedure then they can patent it sooner.

scalpt

Reaction score
Seems to me Follica is already being secretive. The patent seems to be such a broad sweeping list of possible methods, how can one tell which method will work best? Even if they had an idea ahead of time, they got more than just their bases covered.

Orin

Established Member
Reaction score
The patent is vague, to put it mildly. The ingredients can most likely, and I believe it is stated as such, be used internally OR externally.

There are countless of different drugs and components that are wiser to take either externally, or internally for various reasons specific to the material in question, and its effect on the body. I don't belive I, or anyone here is really "putting their own spin" on it, but rather just tailoring the base model after what is:

A) practical
B) economical
C) safe both aesthetically, socially and physiologically

Most people won't buy incredibly expensive drugs, nor pluck all of their existing hair. Just abrading the scalp (through any means) is already asking alot of people, when there is absolutely no guarantee it will be worth it. It's too much down-time and of a money-sink to ask this of people.

You keep reiterating the same sentiment as were the deviation from it completely without merit, logic or reason - when the source material, the patent, is in no way crystal clear about anything other than the core mechanics.

Which is what is being explored, to the best of most people's ability and means. If anything, you could flip it around and see what a wealth of knowledge that can potentially come from doing variations of a method, tested out in real-world situations, and from that get a better idea of what works and what doesn't. Follica's method is very much a work-in-progress for them.
It stands to reason a continuation of a first-trial (the patent), let loose on the net, would be nothing but.

EDIT: I still would like someone to, if they could, tell if the link I posted earlier about EGCG, had any merit. I'm probably going to buy some TCA and perhaps some high-content EGCG tonight, and it would be a bummer if it turns out EGCG only works as a EGFR-inhibitor on cancerous cells, and not on their "normal counterparts". As I've said a million times before, I am but a google-monkey, and don't actually innately understand the chemical speak in these studies.
It's not just for me, also. It's about establishing what available analogs to Follica's medicine we can use, and as some have posted before, EGCG is close to as inhibitory as the "real stuff". I know EGCG also has showed positive effects as an HIV-medicine, but that might be totally unrelated to its potential as an EGFR-inhibitor.

My fear is that it merely stabilizes, whereas synthetic drugs like gefitnib specifically works as an inhibitor wherever you put it. I might show my ignorance, and probably are - but it's important questions to straighten out for the discourse we're creating.

Thanks in advance.

Ouroboros

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm about to contribute to the stupid question pool ;) This one regards plucking the hair out. The sentiment I am getting from this discussion is that plucking the hair out is a good thing; stimulating for regrowth similarly to dermabrasion. Previous to this I've always heard that getting your hair pulled out was bad for regrowth, and that for instance if you had your hair pulled out numerous times from the same location it would permanently damage the follicles and hair would never grow there again. Was this just an old wives tale, or does it only apply if your hair gets violently ripped out or something? Thanks.

goata007

Established Member
Reaction score
Orin, when do plan to experiment on your scalp? also would you do it just on temples or the entire scalp?

Ouroboros, we definitely won't be plucking them repeatedly...just once before the procedure to put follicle in anagen phase which activates the stem cells in the follicle buldge. Again, its experimental at this point and we're not really sure if it would result in any cosmetic regrowth. However, plucking hair once or twice definitely Won't do any harm.

chancer

Established Member
Reaction score
Ouroboros said:
I'm about to contribute to the stupid question pool ;) This one regards plucking the hair out. The sentiment I am getting from this discussion is that plucking the hair out is a good thing; stimulating for regrowth similarly to dermabrasion. Previous to this I've always heard that getting your hair pulled out was bad for regrowth, and that for instance if you had your hair pulled out numerous times from the same location it would permanently damage the follicles and hair would never grow there again. Was this just an old wives tale, or does it only apply if your hair gets violently ripped out or something? Thanks.

My mum used to pluck her eyebrows when she was younger... eventualy they never grew back...

I also read once that plucking eventually kills the follicle.... i dont know how solid of a fact that is or if it falls into the "old wives tale" theory....

But we need to research and ask a few derms about plucking before doing anything like that...

Its a shame there arent a few derms on this forum that we can work with.... and scratch each others backs.

goata007

Established Member
Reaction score
chancer said:
My mum used to pluck her eyebrows when she was younger... eventualy they never grew back...

I also read once that plucking eventually kills the follicle.... i dont know how solid of a fact that is or if it falls into the "old wives tale" theory....

But we need to research and ask a few derms about plucking before doing anything like that...

Did you even read my last post? plucking once or twice won't have any effect....if plucking once or twice was bad for hair then why would we need lasers, waxes, electrolysis???

Repeatedly plucking hair on the same area over several years is known to cause thinning or permanent removal of hair from that particular area (read follicles). And you'd only hear about this from women talking about their eyebrows...the reason is women start plucking their eyebrows in their teens and continously do it till they die, that's why the follicles die on them sooner.

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
Some points raised....

EGCG is studied for A LOT of things. Cancer in particular as it has a pro-apoptotic effect on cancer cells. The study I quoted looked at epidermal cells and specifically measured the ammount of gene expression of the EGFR in the presence of various compounds. I dont think you will find much more specific than that on a compound not specifically designed to inhibit the EGFR.

The Follica method DEFINITELY creates new hair follicles. This was the first thing established by Cotsarelis et al before there was even a Follica and was what led to them getting a paper published in Nature last year. It was pretty big news within that particular scientific community.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1750 ... d_RVDocSum

Increased wnt signalling would be beneficial. The patent gives a list of things that help to create new hair. Minoxidil, increased EDAR signalling, increased FGF signalling, increased beta-catenin. That last one is where wnt signalling and the reasoning behind lithium usage comes into it. EGF inhibits hair follicle formation and inhibiting EGFR leads to increased hair follicle formation. Its possible that the wnt link is being set aside for now because it might require FDA investigation to preclude the risk of tumour formation that can occur with prolonged expression of beta-catenin. Basically if researchers overexpressed beta-catenin in mice skin they grew more hair from new follicles and existing follicles went into anagen. If they kept overexpressing beta-catenin for 21 days these new follicles grew larger and larger until they were like little tumours (cancer is after all uncontrolled cell growth by definition). If they then stopped upregulating beta-catenin these tumour-like growths regressed.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1508 ... rom=pubmed

I would also use lithium topically to maximise concentrations at the scalp and minimise other effects. I think all this tsuff is better used topically.

Yes the patents are vague (actually they are not vague in most places - comprehensive is a much better term) because obviously Follica does not know the optimal combination of all these multitude of variables to grow hair on human scalps. They are also vague because you dont want a company called Follicytex coming along and wounding the scalp for 2 days instead of one with the patented Follicytex procedure. They have to cover all bases. They are not trying to throw you off the trail. The whole reason we have a patent system is that firstly you dont have to worry about others profitting from your invention but secondly so that understanding can progress - other people can see and understand what you are doing but they just cant profit from it. They will continue to file as many patents as they want/need and really couldn't care less I am sure if 50 guys on the internet or so are trying this at home. Its not going to effect their bottom line.
hh

joemadrid

Reaction score
I would also use lithium topically to maximise concentrations at the scalp and minimise other effects. I think all this tsuff is better used topically.

What do you would use to dissolve the drugs?

In the patent they said "apply a compound", not take drugs orally, but ethanol is a disinfectant substance and they also said that we cannot apply any disinfectant before the abrasion :shock:

first

Established Member
Reaction score
joemadrid said:

In the patent they said "apply a compound", not take drugs orally, but ethanol is a disinfectant substance and they also said that we cannot apply any disinfectant before the abrasion :shock:
They do use alcohol in some of the experiments and it still yields good results. However, these are the rest mentioned;

For liquid formulations, pharmaceutically acceptable carriers are, in another embodiment, aqueous or non-aqueous solutions, suspensions, emulsions or oils. Examples of non-aqueous solvents are propylene glycol, polyethylene glycol, and injectable organic esters such as ethyl oleate. Aqueous carriers include, in another embodiment, water, alcoholic/aqueous solutions, emulsions or suspensions, including saline and buffered media. Examples of oils are those of petroleum, animal, vegetable, or synthetic origin, for example, peanut oil, soybean oil, mineral oil, olive oil, sunflower oil, and fish-liver oil.

first

Established Member
Reaction score
Orin said:
I don't belive I, or anyone here is really "putting their own spin" on it, but rather just tailoring the base model after what is:

A) practical
B) economical
C) safe both aesthetically, socially and physiologically

Most people won't buy incredibly expensive drugs, nor pluck all of their existing hair. Just abrading the scalp (through any means) is already asking alot of people, when there is absolutely no guarantee it will be worth it. It's too much down-time and of a money-sink to ask this of people.
I can agree with this. I am not trying to put "my own spin to it" just for the sake of doing something different. I try to replicate it in a sense that is cheap and practical for me. Sure, it is not optimal but it is a whole lot better than nothing. People simply have a limit as to what extent they will go in a test.

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
joemadrid said:

I would use ethanol/water. I think people are making way too much of this.
hh

Orin

Established Member
Reaction score
*Harold*

I think you're right, and I would like to add that (though as bold as it may be) that it's really, at this point, about us (or me in any case) starting to implement things. I grew about 30 hairs give or take a few, on ONE run of dermabrasion with only some hard-to-solve lithium (orotate) in, quite frankly, gin of all alcohols.

Hardly ideal, but there you go :)

I do would like to ask you something, and that is if you think lithium (in any composition I guess) signals "the right kind" of WnT. Again, don't know much about chemistry and all that, but I do seem to remember someone posting that a certain WnT-signal (or is it a protein? Anyway, you know what I mean), I think called WnT-10 is the one WnT-signal in the skin that actually governs, or atleast strongly influences hair-generation (and surely regrowth also).
What are your thoughts on how lithium targets this specific signal? Lithium is talked about in broad strokes, and it's used because we really don't have anything more precise readily available. Perhaps it ups all WnT-signaling, but I recognize the danger of over-simplifying something as complex as the human body.

Regarding my own experiments... I will probably do both temples, and a line all along my hairline where I do not have hair left, or have very wispy hair. This is just in case something with the TCA goes wrong - which I also of course will try out in different strenghts on other parts of my body, and perhaps in my sideburn or something, to see what an area with thick scalp hair looks like after treatment, and if it leaves the hair unharmed.

I won't pluck the hair beforehand; not because I don't think it helps, I know it does (it's scientific fact now, I suppose). But I'm trying to do this as painfree as possible, and given how I would look if I had to pluck the hair from the treated areas beforehand, and at the same time continue to exist inconspicuously in society, I'm willing to sacrifice whatever effect it has as of now. I remember reading something of a ten-fold net-gain, but that's in rats, so who knows.
For all we know, some deep needling all over the scalp might produce a similar effect, so that's probably what I will do - just in case. In the end, I'm willing to go through an additional 3-4 treatments to get the same results as someone who went ahead and plucked their whole scalp. As long as there's a steady gain, I don't mind.

I'm thinking about doing one temple with high-grade EGCG + lithium in an alcohol mix, and the other temple with EGCG mixed in water (or alcohol, I haven't decided. There is a question of absorbation into the skin). I think this is as "scientific" as it can get, since I am my own experimentation-ground and I don't have the luxury of dealing with "virgin-scalp", as both my temples have by now have gone through one pass of dermabrasion.

So it's possible, that if I get good results, that it can also be because I am on (at that time) my second dermabrasion, and the phenol-study showed that dermabrasion on average takes 3 passes (without any additives) before you get substantial - or "excellent" - results.

So yeah, it's all a mess really..lol. It's truly a home-grown thing, but given the circumstances, I think this is the best we can do. At this point, it's really about getting results to begin with, and THEN, if that goes well, we can get into the headache of trying to make an optimized walkthrough or guide or something, for those that are just about to jump into this. Anyway, that's months away, and I'm over-thinking, as per usual.

If I would allow myself to make any predictions, based on semi-substantiated data, and backed up (albeit not entirely) by the two Follica patents, I'd think this is the way things will pan out:

* Dermabrasion alone gets the (comparatively) worst results

* Dermabrasion + lithium gives better results.

* Dermabrasion + lithium + caffeine gives better results.

* Dermabrasion + lithium + caffeine + some manner of EGFR-inhibitor such as EGCG gives better results.

* Dermabrasion + lithium + EGCG + caffeine + minoxidil (if they don't cancel eachother out) gives better results.

* Dermabrasion + lithium + EGCG + caffeine + minoxidil + DMSO (if the "no disinfectant thing" doesn't hold water) gives better results.

If I had to guess, I think that is the order of effect, but I'm fully aware of how wobbly that 1+1 logic is, and there are probably a myriad of ways each chemical interacts with eachother. But as a very, very rough game-plan, I think that will suffice for now, and right now I'm at stage two, with meager, but clearly visible, non vellous hair as a result. The results, if any, on my right temple which I treated with lithium + caffeine (stage 3), should come in at about 3 weeks from now.

I shudder to think of the color that final potion will be though - pure witch-doctor.

goata007

Established Member
Reaction score
I do would like to ask you something, and that is if you think lithium (in any composition I guess) signals "the right kind" of WnT. Again, don't know much about chemistry and all that, but I do seem to remember someone posting that a certain WnT-signal (or is it a protein? Anyway, you know what I mean), I think called WnT-10 is the one WnT-signal in the skin that actually governs, or atleast strongly influences hair-generation (and surely regrowth also).
What are your thoughts on how lithium targets this specific signal? Lithium is talked about in broad strokes, and it's used because we really don't have anything more precise readily available. Perhaps it ups all WnT-signaling, but I recognize the danger of over-simplifying something as complex as the human body.

Oral Lithium is regularly prescribed for manic depression, so it is quite safe. Here is weired info regarding WNT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wnt_signaling_pathway#Stem_cells...you may wanna read up on that stanford research though.

I won't pluck the hair beforehand; not because I don't think it helps, I know it does (it's scientific fact now, I suppose). But I'm trying to do this as painfree as possible, and given how I would look if I had to pluck the hair from the treated areas beforehand, and at the same time continue to exist inconspicuously in society, I'm willing to sacrifice whatever effect it has as of now.

I don't think plucking vellus hair from would have any negative effect + plus it's already invisible to other people so might as well give it a shot.

Btw, when are you planning to do the experiment? Also, those 30 hairs that you grew, were those from dermabrasion or needling?

first

Established Member
Reaction score
goata007 said:
Oral Lithium is regularly prescribed for manic depression, so it is quite safe.
Well, oral lithium causes alopecia. Check for example a ton of reports regarding it here; http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=alo ... G=S%C3%B6k

scholar.google.com is by the way a very useful search engine for various medications and studies.

goata007

Established Member
Reaction score
first said:
Well, oral lithium causes alopecia. Check for example a ton of reports regarding it here; http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=alo ... G=S%C3%B6k

scholar.google.com is by the way a very useful search engine for various medications and studies.

I already mentioned it in one of my previous posts, that prolonged use of lithium causes hair thinning INDIRECTLY by lowering thyroid function - which is known to cause hair thinning.