Maliniak Method

drex1999

Banned
Reaction score
...and yet recent studies documented in medical journals showed that botoxing the galea muscles to relax them grew hair. I guess that refutes your Rolf E's refute.

That and the fact I grew a bit of friggin hair instead of losing it. So, as long as I'm going in a positive direction instead of a negative one like 99% of everybody else, I've decided i'm going to bang the drum every time one of you wants to bash it.

So, if you guys who haven't tried it want to come here and say it doesn't work because you don't think it should in your humble and unsolicited opinion, then you can keep posting and keep it at the top of the threads.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
drex1999 said:
...and yet recent studies documented in medical journals showed that botoxing the galea muscles to relax them grew hair. I guess that refutes your Rolf E's refute.

Give me the full citations to any such studies.

Jacob

Reaction score
Bryan said:
drex1999 said:

Give me the full citations to any such studies.

As soon as Proctor provides the comprehensive three year clinical study on his crap...and you provide evidence for the claims you keep parroting....maybe someone will give a crap about you asking for evidence/studies on anything. Or at least that's all anyone has to say. Or they could just say- they're "mental notes".

elliotramsey

Established Member
Reaction score
I vaguely remember reading something refuting the Nordstrom study, but then again I'm sure you would want me to provide full citations for that too

drex1999

Banned
Reaction score
Here you go Bryan. You asked for it and it doesn't help your view one bit. Mean hair counts for the entire group up 18%? Say it ain't so!

http://journals.lww.com/plasreconsurg/F ... um.79.aspx

We would like to present the results of an open-label pilot study using botulinum toxin type A (Botox; Allergan, Inc., Irvine, Calif.) for the treatment of androgenetic alopecia. This form of alopecia is believed to be caused by a genetically predisposed sensitivity of hair follicles to the toxic effects of dihydrotestosterone, a metabolite of testosterone. Medical treatment of androgenetic alopecia has previously only been moderately effective using systemic drugs such as finasteride, a 5?-reductase inhibitor.1

In this ethically approved study, 50 male subjects aged between 19 and 57 years with Norwood/Hamilton ratings of II to IV participated.2 The study was 60 weeks in duration, with 12 weeks of run-in followed by two treatment cycles of 24 weeks each. Subjects were injected with 150 units of Botox (5 units per 0.1 ml saline) into the muscles surrounding the scalp, including frontalis, temporalis, periauricular, and occipitalis muscles in equally divided doses over 30 injection sites. The primary outcome measure was a change in hair count in a fixed 2-cm area using a method described by Canfield.3 Secondary outcome measures included hair loss, measured by having subjects collect loose hair from their pillow with a sticky lint roller, and subjective efficacy using a validated questionnaire. Statistical analysis entailed paired t tests of group means.

Forty subjects completed the study, and no adverse effects were reported. The treatment response rate was 75 percent. Mean hair counts for the entire group showed a statistically significant (p < 0.0001) increase of 18 percent between baseline and week 48 (Table 1), similar to the results reported with Propecia (Merck, Whitehouse Station, N.J.).1 Hair regrowth was objectively visible in some subjects (Fig. 1). Secondary outcome measures were also significantly improved. The reduction in hair loss and increase in hair count did not show a statistically significant correlation. This suggested that longer retention of terminal hairs did not account for the increase in hair count.

Mechanistically, the scalp behaves like a drum skin with tensioning muscles around the periphery. These muscle groups—the frontalis, occipitalis, and periauricular muscles and to a minor degree the temporalis—can create a “tightâ€￾ scalp when chronically active. Because the blood supply to the scalp enters through the periphery, a reduction in blood flow would be most apparent at the distal ends of the vessels, specifically, the vertex and frontal peaks. Areas of the scalp with sparse hair growth have been shown to be relatively hypoxic, have slow capillary refill, and to have high levels of dihydrotestosterone.4

Conceptually, Botox “loosensâ€￾ the scalp, reducing pressure on the perforating vasculature, thereby increasing blood flow and oxygen concentration. The enzymatic conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone is oxygen dependent. In low-oxygen environments, the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone is favored; whereas in high-oxygen environments, more testosterone is converted to estradiol.4 Blood flow may therefore be a primary determinant in follicular health. Strategically placed Botox injections appear able to indirectly modify this variable, resulting in reduced hair loss and new hair growth in some men with androgenetic alopecia.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
elliotramsey said:
I vaguely remember reading something refuting the Nordstrom study, but then again I'm sure you would want me to provide full citations for that too

If you HAVE such a study, sure. I've never heard of anything "refuting" the Nordstrom study. I'd be intrigued to read it. Or were you just making that up?

zeroes

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
elliotramsey said:
Good lord 2020, you just don't know how to stay away do you?

Considering there have been tons of theories about what causes hair loss, and so far there are no treatments that work 100%, i'll keep doing what I'm doing.

Can you handle that?

The so-called "Maliniak Method" (and other issues relating to the "galea" theory) has already been SOUNDLY refuted by the early Rolf E. A. Nordstrom study. I think it's necessary to point that out, for any newbies that happen to come by, and stumble upon this thread.

That is a really old study that should be looked at again. Also at one stage people thought the earth was flat, how did that work out again!?

zeroes

Experienced Member
Reaction score
drex1999 said:
Here you go Bryan. You asked for it and it doesn't help your view one bit. Mean hair counts for the entire group up 18%? Say it ain't so!

http://journals.lww.com/plasreconsurg/F ... um.79.aspx

We would like to present the results of an open-label pilot study using botulinum toxin type A (Botox; Allergan, Inc., Irvine, Calif.) for the treatment of androgenetic alopecia. This form of alopecia is believed to be caused by a genetically predisposed sensitivity of hair follicles to the toxic effects of dihydrotestosterone, a metabolite of testosterone. Medical treatment of androgenetic alopecia has previously only been moderately effective using systemic drugs such as finasteride, a 5?-reductase inhibitor.1

In this ethically approved study, 50 male subjects aged between 19 and 57 years with Norwood/Hamilton ratings of II to IV participated.2 The study was 60 weeks in duration, with 12 weeks of run-in followed by two treatment cycles of 24 weeks each. Subjects were injected with 150 units of Botox (5 units per 0.1 ml saline) into the muscles surrounding the scalp, including frontalis, temporalis, periauricular, and occipitalis muscles in equally divided doses over 30 injection sites. The primary outcome measure was a change in hair count in a fixed 2-cm area using a method described by Canfield.3 Secondary outcome measures included hair loss, measured by having subjects collect loose hair from their pillow with a sticky lint roller, and subjective efficacy using a validated questionnaire. Statistical analysis entailed paired t tests of group means.

Forty subjects completed the study, and no adverse effects were reported. The treatment response rate was 75 percent. Mean hair counts for the entire group showed a statistically significant (p < 0.0001) increase of 18 percent between baseline and week 48 (Table 1), similar to the results reported with Propecia (Merck, Whitehouse Station, N.J.).1 Hair regrowth was objectively visible in some subjects (Fig. 1). Secondary outcome measures were also significantly improved. The reduction in hair loss and increase in hair count did not show a statistically significant correlation. This suggested that longer retention of terminal hairs did not account for the increase in hair count.

Mechanistically, the scalp behaves like a drum skin with tensioning muscles around the periphery. These muscle groups—the frontalis, occipitalis, and periauricular muscles and to a minor degree the temporalis—can create a “tightâ€￾ scalp when chronically active. Because the blood supply to the scalp enters through the periphery, a reduction in blood flow would be most apparent at the distal ends of the vessels, specifically, the vertex and frontal peaks. Areas of the scalp with sparse hair growth have been shown to be relatively hypoxic, have slow capillary refill, and to have high levels of dihydrotestosterone.4

Conceptually, Botox “loosensâ€￾ the scalp, reducing pressure on the perforating vasculature, thereby increasing blood flow and oxygen concentration. The enzymatic conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone is oxygen dependent. In low-oxygen environments, the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone is favored; whereas in high-oxygen environments, more testosterone is converted to estradiol.4 Blood flow may therefore be a primary determinant in follicular health. Strategically placed Botox injections appear able to indirectly modify this variable, resulting in reduced hair loss and new hair growth in some men with androgenetic alopecia.

Any reason we can't use botox?

Jacob

Reaction score
Bryan said:
elliotramsey said:

If you HAVE such a study, sure. I've never heard of anything "refuting" the Nordstrom study. I'd be intrigued to read it. Or were you just making that up?

Who cares if he's just making that up. That's what you do, all the time.

T

TravisB

I'm amazed how big this thread is, and that it hasn't been abandoned yet.

It's obvious that it doesn't work.

elliotramsey

Established Member
Reaction score
I said vaguely, which means maybe I have and maybe I haven't, if I did I didn't pay much attention to it at the time.

Travis, I'm glad you are able to somehow see that it doesn't work.

elliotramsey

Established Member
Reaction score
Drex, thanks for the link. That further shows that there is something to relaxing the galea.

Zereos, I can't imagine botox would be cheap. Nor would most doctors voluntarily inject your head with it.

drex1999

Banned
Reaction score
I guess I wasn't making it up, lol! First, some people will eat their words and then we'll get the "that doesn't mean anything because it goes against my beliefs" claims.

drex1999

Banned
Reaction score
2020, how come Propecia is proven yet does not target prostaglandins? Why is your study on prostaglandins believable to you but a study I just posted on the galea not count? Where they lying for shits and giggles? Your tunnel vision has discredited any opinion you have.

Experienced Member
Reaction score
drex1999 said:
2020, how come Propecia is proven yet does not target prostaglandins?

oh yes it does. When DHT attaches to its receptor at the follicle, your body eventually responds by producing excessive PGD2.

Less DHT == Less inflammatory responses == hair growth.

drex1999 said:
Why is your study on prostaglandins believable to you but a study I just posted on the galea not count? Where they lying for shits and giggles? Your tunnel vision has discredited any opinion you have.

link?

No one has grew any hair in over a year. Stop playing with the placebo effect. Take this sh*t to immortalhair forums. There you can go crazy with massages, wands, detoxes whatever.
YOU ARE ALL WASTING TIME AND MONEY.
IN A YEAR THIS THREAD WILL BE BURIED AMONG OTHER BS THEORIES.

drex1999

Banned
Reaction score
I already posted the link from the Journal of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons on page 41 which you probably made fun of but didn't read.
If there was any successful treatment with prostaglandins, I'd be on it. And I'd be on your thread about them. But, there isn't any treatment yet so I am here. Talking about this. On it's own thread which you intrude upon over and over again.

I had results with Propecia for 12 years
I have results with this method
I had minimal, fleeting results on Minoxinil.

That's it. I've tried most things out there. Only after I've tried them can I say what works and what doesn't. I believe the ozone is a key part here. Read up on it's effects on the human body. And then go away because you have no business continually posting your opinion on something you haven't tried to people who have not asked for it.

This is the Experimental Treatments section. This is an Experimental Treatment. We have a right to discuss it here, no matter if you like it or not.

Experienced Member
Reaction score
drex1999 said:
This is the Experimental Treatments section. This is an Experimental Treatment. We have a right to discuss it here, no matter if you like it or not.

right, so when is this experiment end because I'm pretty sure it just failed :innocent:

elliotramsey

Established Member
Reaction score
Can a mod please restrict this guy from posting in this thread? He has not contributed AT ALL, and instead defaults on the same remarks over and over again.

I've asked this before but i'm asking again. This is getting ridiculous. I'm glad he must think he's so amusing.

zeroes

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Come-on 2020, let them go. They aren't shilling anything. We are all in this together, group hug time!?!

I'm really interested to see how this goes.