New Dermaroller Study; Thoughts, comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirby

Established Member
Reaction score
Missed a weekly rolling session last week due to visitors staying a week, didn't want to have to explain that, LOL. Had to switch back to once a day minoxidil foam, however – twice a day gave me seriously swollen eyelids, black eye style! Went after a few days, thankfully. Some minoxidil is better than none, I guess.

saintsfan92344

Established Member
Reaction score
a msg to all. dont switch the roller with sth that wounds straight like a stamp.its the angle of entering and exiting the epidermis of the needles that wound and the job is getting done

I lose a lot of hair with the roller, kind of defeats the purpose lol
may give it a few more weeks but going to get a stamp anyway to try

opti

Established Member
Reaction score
AM Nelson,[SUP]1[/SUP] DE Loy,[SUP]1[/SUP] JA Lawson,[SUP]2,3[/SUP] AS Katseff,[SUP]1[/SUP] GA FitzGerald[SUP]2,3[/SUP] and LA Garza[SUP]1[/SUP] 1 Dermatology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, 2 Pharmacology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA and 3 Institute for Translational Medicine and Therapeutics, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
Prostaglandins (PGs) are key inflammatory mediators involved in wound healing. Recent evidence also illustrated a role for PGs in skin homeostasis with a specific role in regulating hair growth; however, no study to date has examined their role in skin regeneration after injury. Using the wound-induced hair follicle neogenesis (WIHN) assay, we hypothesized that PGs would impact hair follicle neogenesis, a marker for skin regeneration. We found that in C57Bl/6J mice, the levels of prostaglandin synthases and their products (PGD2, PGE2, PGF2a) were reciprocally expressed during wound healing. PGE2 and PGF2a levels increased during the early phases of wound healing while PGD2 increased during the later stages of wound healing (n>3; p<0.05). The level of hair follicle neogenesis after wounding varied significantly among C57Bl/6J, FVB/N and mixed background strains of mice (n>33; p<0.01). Levels of lipocalin-type prostaglandin D2 synthase (Ptgds) mRNA (n>4; p<0.01) and its product PGD2 (n=6; p<0.05) inversely correlated with regeneration ability. C57Bl/6 mice had the highest level of Ptgds mRNA expression, PGD2 levels and the least follicle neogenesis. Additionally, an alternatively spliced transcript variant of Ptgds missing exon 3 correlated with the regeneration phenotype among strains of mice (n=9; p<0.05). Exogenous application of PGD2 decreased WIHN in wild type mice (n=8; p=0.06). Of the two canonical PGD2 receptor null mice, only Gpr44 showed increased WIHN compared to strain-matched control mice (n=31; p<0.05). In all, these findings demonstrate that PGD2 inversely correlates with hair follicle regeneration implying that inhibition of PGD2 production or Gpr44 signaling pathways may promote skin regeneration

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3593761/figure/F2/

if you look at this picture ,it shows that PGD2 inhibition is more important than increasing pge2 levels.
the mice with lowest pgd had most hair neogenesis (not that she doesnt have the most pge2 levels).

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
@opti: But only under the assumption that humans are capable of follicle neogenesis just like that. As far as I know, under normal circumstances, humans aren't.

slam1523

Banned
Reaction score
So I don't want to buzz my head and I'm sure at some point it's long enough that it may get tangled in a roller... What's better a stamp or a roller? Would stamp take much much longer to use?

CharlesXavier

Reaction score
How do we inhibit pge2 levels? Cream or something? Or does the dermarolling do it itself?

opti

Established Member
Reaction score
How do we inhibit pge2 levels? Cream or something? Or does the dermarolling do it itself?

we need to inhibit pgd2 not pge2. PGE2 itself is good,minoxidil grants pge2 production.
pgd blockers wpuld be cet or bimatroprost (other stuff exist but decrease pgd aswell as pge and pgf2a )

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
So I don't want to buzz my head and I'm sure at some point it's long enough that it may get tangled in a roller... What's better a stamp or a roller? Would stamp take much much longer to use?

Roll in one direction and tangles are not a problem with long hair, it's like brushing your hair.

- - - Updated - - -

You could use castor oil or emu oil to raise PGE2 which is what you want. minoxidil also increases PGE2. Cetrizine or Finasteride to decrease PGD2. But all I'm doing at the moment is DR/minoxidil with occasional castor/emu if my scalp is feeling sore.

danawhite1

Established Member
Reaction score
Indomethacin/Chloro is also a good pdg2 inhibitor. i bought the iron dragon one that was like 70 bucks for 3 months. the reason i stopped was because it also inhibited pge2 but now with dermarolling + minoxidil i might use it again

Reaction score
I used a 540 for about ten weeks then got the less densely packed roller (~170) and I find more effective at actually puncturing the skin. You should hear little "pop" sounds. Still hurts the same.

I use a .5mm twice a day for minoxidil absorption and went from the 540 to the ~170 and, as I use that far more often, I can say that I find that one the more effective of the two. Although as I am not looking at my progress at all until 3 months in, my only measure of progress is the "pop" sounds that tell me I am actually puncturing skin and not grazing it.

CharlesXavier

Reaction score
What does pge2 do again? And i actually have some castor oil its a dark tar like oil is that good? How does this oil benefit us just curious :) Also how often should i apply it? I hear is best to not apply anything after derma rolling

terral

Reaction score
The one problem I have with this study... is the fact that the photos show "regrowth" of well over 1 and a half inches of hair, when hair only grows half an inch per month.

So, in 3 months they got these kind of results ???

IntJTrichol_2013_5_1_6_114700_u9.jpg

Something just doesn't add up...

... has this issue been addressed and I'm just not aware of it ?

Has anyone had these kind of results after 12 treatments ???

Just curious, and interested in your thoughts.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.