New Dermaroller Study; Thoughts, comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Ah ok, so do you make your own or buy it? Does it sting when applied?

- - - Updated - - -

Squeegee - Are you still doing it 3 times per week I'm sure I read somewhere or are you doing it once a week?

Breaking.. nope once a week every Friday 2.5mm Deep and rough just like my last GF liked. Then usually wait one day, then minoxidil+Mico twice a day. I cheated this week, I did it on Monday then today.. I was on vacation.. My hair are getting thick as ****! After my 3 recovery days after deep rolling, I use a small derma 0.25mm before topicals for better absorption. Also help with the shedding of all the dead skin.

Breaking Bald

Established Member
Reaction score
Breaking.. nope once a week every Friday 2.5mm Deep and rough just like my last GF liked. Then usually wait one day, then minoxidil+Mico twice a day. I cheated this week, I did it on Monday then today.. I was on vacation.. My hair are getting thick as ****! After my 3 recovery days after deep rolling, I use a small derma 0.25mm before topicals for better absorption. Also help with the shedding of all the dead skin.

Hmm interesting and you're drawing quite a bit of blood? Where as the study they were tolling doing into until 'mild erythema', so maybe your are getting better results because you are quite brutal. I'm sure I read that someone on TBT [FONT=Arial, Verdana, Geneva, Helvetica, sans-serif]contacted[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Verdana, Geneva, Helvetica, sans-serif] one of the conductors of the study and he said that they stopped once they saw blood drawn. So that was their reference for when to stop rolling but that doesn't really sound like 'mild [/FONT]erythema' to me. I guess I should role a bit harder next time, there was only a little bit of blood, have you been taking pictures throughout?

Sparky4444

Reaction score
holy s-h-i-t...mint oil didn't help tonite..it hurt like a MOFO...worse than last week..bled like a stuck pig...almost in tears...jeezus being shallow is painful

closetmetrosexual

Established Member
Reaction score
Had my first session today, it stung like a mofo but could be worse. Question - Are you guys sterilising it before you use it? If that is the case are you making sure to rinse it thoroughly before rolling? I'm just concerned that the surgical spirit that I am using may stay on the needle -even though I rinse it- and therefore will enter my blood stream? Which may not be good. Are you all just using rubbing alcohol?

I disinfect the roller after each use, then place it in the airtight container it came in.
This should mean the roller is sterile when I take it out to use next time.

DesperateOne

Banned
Reaction score
holy s-h-i-t...mint oil didn't help tonite..it hurt like a MOFO...worse than last week..bled like a stuck pig...almost in tears...jeezus being shallow is painful

Hahaha, sorry but I found that funny. Weren't you going to try ice, or was that someone else? I will be getting my mint oil next Monday and will try to is it with the 2.5mm.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Hahaha, sorry but I found that funny. Weren't you going to try ice, or was that someone else? I will be getting my mint oil next Monday and will try to is it with the 2.5mm.

http://www.drnumb.ca/

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm interesting and you're drawing quite a bit of blood? Where as the study they were tolling doing into until 'mild erythema', so maybe your are getting better results because you are quite brutal. I'm sure I read that someone on TBT contacted one of the conductors of the study and he said that they stopped once they saw blood drawn. So that was their reference for when to stop rolling but that doesn't really sound like 'mild erythema' to me. I guess I should role a bit harder next time, there was only a little bit of blood, have you been taking pictures throughout?

Rougher you are, better the results. Common sense, the more you destroy, the more you rebuilt. I don't have pictures for today, but pretty much looks like Hellrouser but I roll my whole head with it , all the temple area where no hair are visible. Feels and look like a sunburn after. Listen to him. The dude is on the ball.

[video=youtube;yFNe2_9YJXs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFNe2_9YJXs[/video]

RisingFist

Reaction score
http://www.omicsonline.org/2155-9554/2155-9554-3-138.php

Hey guys check out this study, I find it interesting. It talks about bald people having thicker scalps and grease trapped in which prevents nutrients to get to follicles. The method they used in the study to remedy the problem is massage with your fingers 20 minutes in the morning and 20 minutes at night. At 150 days, the dome like shape of the scalp compressed half way making the skin thinner and at another 150 days, the scalp became even thinner making it close to regular scalps and causing regrowth to 100% of patients. It also helped remove grease from the follicles (I wonder if dermarolling is doing the same thing). It's quite intriguing. Please take a look and discuss cause if it's viable, it's completely free and we can all incorporate it.

bushbush

Established Member
Reaction score

This study isn't very convincing. Their stats weren't very rigorous or detailed. Some of the language is also quite unscientific and even borderline pseudoscience: eg. 'The rubbing motion promotes relaxation and feels good, thus increasing the production of good chemicals that work to lower levels of stress hormone in the body. ' Looks like we just need increase the number of 'good chemicals' that feel good, and baldness is cured.

DesperateOne

Banned
Reaction score
http://www.omicsonline.org/2155-9554/2155-9554-3-138.php

Hey guys check out this study, I find it interesting. It talks about bald people having thicker scalps and grease trapped in which prevents nutrients to get to follicles. The method they used in the study to remedy the problem is massage with your fingers 20 minutes in the morning and 20 minutes at night. At 150 days, the dome like shape of the scalp compressed half way making the skin thinner and at another 150 days, the scalp became even thinner making it close to regular scalps and causing regrowth to 100% of patients. It also helped remove grease from the follicles (I wonder if dermarolling is doing the same thing). It's quite intriguing. Please take a look and discuss cause if it's viable, it's completely free and we can all incorporate it.

From what I know, it is the exact opposite. When we lose hair, the skin becomes thinner and loses the fat under the skin, this is why it hurts more on slick areas during rolling.
I don't think that article is accurate but I guess it couldn't hurt massaging for a couple a minutes a day.

Haha closet, well let us know if ice helps, lol 3mm

Agahi

Established Member
Reaction score
so I did my first session, but as I was rolling with my 1.5mm and no matter how hard I push I dont bleed. I could visually see the needles in and my head feels like its on fire from going over it like 10 times trying to get some blood. Is this a problem do you think?

I got like maybe 5 little blood spots. nothing like that females face in the video.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
I took a different approach today to my dermarolling. I've noticed *some* vellus hair in the temples, but I'm not sure if those are miniaturized hairs from progressive balding or hairs that have grown thicker during my regimen. Therefor, what I did today was:

Dermarolled harshly around the entire scalp but MOSTLY on the hairline drawing enough blood to sort of coat the skin with it. Shortly after this, I showered, getting rid of the blood and shampooing my hair/scalp, this basically exfoliates the skin. After showering I dried my hair (blow dryer) and dermarolled AGAIN. I can say this time though, a lot more blood was coming out. It only took a few short strokes to draw a lot of blood so I didn't dermaroll too much. After this I rinsed my hair with warm water and noticed some blood was dripping mixed with water. I dried my hair AGAIN with a blow dryer (couldnt use towels as there was still some blood left over)... and once dry, I applied Minoxidil around the hairline/temples/corners where most of the blood was apparent. So far? No side effects, no sign of increased heart rate, nothing. I did STING a little applying the minoxidil in the wounded areas, but thats due to the alcohol.

Let's hope this creates some TERMINAL hairs! :)

closetmetrosexual

Established Member
Reaction score
Haha closet, well let us know if ice helps, lol 3mm

Ice helped minimally. Barely worth doing, 'cos you end up having to fight all the water that drips down all over from the ice melting.

About the 3.0mm....... I chickened out. Those needles are LONG! 8O
I'm genuinely fearful of popping a larger vein and end up bleeding to such a degree that I might put myself in danger.
I'm going to have to look into how safe a 3.0mm is on the scalp.
If anyone here reading this has any input, please do share.

And I definitely am going to get the numbing cream. I know I said I would not, but dear Lord... the pain today with the 1.5mm was even more unbearable than last time. Sheesh!
I only made to half way through before I had to end it. It was just too much. I guess I'm a giant pussy. But I wonder if not maybe we have variations in scalp sensitivities, baldie to baldie.
I know that my right side on top is much more sensitive than my left side. Temples are also pretty sensitive.

I just know I can't do this without numbing down first. I'd rather go bald than suffer this trauma every week. So, numbing cream, here I come.

odalbak

Established Member
Reaction score
so I did my first session, but as I was rolling with my 1.5mm and no matter how hard I push I dont bleed.

Interesting. So I'm not the only one that doesn't bleed much: just small drops of blood here and there but nothing like hellrouser… But I've done my 3rd DR session recently and it looks like there's possibly more and more blood. Maybe. This needs to be confirmed in the next sessions.
May I ask what your Norwood is, and maybe your age as well?

btw, I'm getting great results. Thicker hair, lots of new vellus hairs on temples, fuller hair overall. So far the study is keeping its promises for me. I expect that in 3 weeks I'll get my first positive remarks. Don't lose hope guys, we're onto powerful stuff here.

DesperateOne

Banned
Reaction score
I took a different approach today to my dermarolling. I've noticed *some* vellus hair in the temples, but I'm not sure if those are miniaturized hairs from progressive balding or hairs that have grown thicker during my regimen. Therefor, what I did today was:

Dermarolled harshly around the entire scalp but MOSTLY on the hairline drawing enough blood to sort of coat the skin with it. Shortly after this, I showered, getting rid of the blood and shampooing my hair/scalp, this basically exfoliates the skin. After showering I dried my hair (blow dryer) and dermarolled AGAIN. I can say this time though, a lot more blood was coming out. It only took a few short strokes to draw a lot of blood so I didn't dermaroll too much. After this I rinsed my hair with warm water and noticed some blood was dripping mixed with water. I dried my hair AGAIN with a blow dryer (couldnt use towels as there was still some blood left over)... and once dry, I applied Minoxidil around the hairline/temples/corners where most of the blood was apparent. So far? No side effects, no sign of increased heart rate, nothing. I did STING a little applying the minoxidil in the wounded areas, but thats due to the alcohol.

Let's hope this creates some TERMINAL hairs! :)

Watch out, people are getting brown bags under their eyes, which may become permanent.

@closet, maybe you can try dr. Numb like squeegee recommended. I am also not looking forward to the 2.5mm session next week.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Interesting. So I'm not the only one that doesn't bleed much: just small drops of blood here and there but nothing like hellrouser… But I've done my 3rd DR session recently and it looks like there's possibly more and more blood. Maybe. This needs to be confirmed in the next sessions.

If you go fast and deep and stay around the same spot for a while, you will bleed.

DesperateOne

Banned
Reaction score

btw, I'm getting great results. Thicker hair, lots of new vellus hairs on temples, fuller hair overall. So far the study is keeping its promises for me. I expect that in 3 weeks I'll get my first positive remarks. Don't lose hope guys, we're onto powerful stuff here.
I am one of those that doesn't bleed that much, I put pressure and lots of time but only mild bleeding. I am sure that I wi bleed with the 2.5mm and will do as squeegee mentioned, longer in a spot until I bleed.

So is it true that the 2.5mm may rupture big blood vessels and cause lots of harm?

Do you guys get lots of sunlight? I personally don't and when I go out, I wear hat.

odalbak

Established Member
Reaction score
If you go fast and deep and stay around the same spot for a while, you will bleed.

I do exactly that except that I go slow. I like to spend time making sure I go as deep as possible on every bit of my scalp.

Status
Not open for further replies.