New Studies Show Vit D Implicated In Hair Loss And Calcipotriol

mr_robot

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes I would want to raise my levels too but doing that without fixing the receptor issue will be a waste of time. We've seen this kinda thing again and again in hairloss forums. A study gets released and everyone jumps the gun without understanding the facts, and they sit around wondering why they never got any regrowth from that bottle of Vitamin D sitting in the cupboard.

You make a great point though about the other illnesses, I've done some reading in the past few days and there ARE connections.

Also, VDR's are low in the airways of Asthma sufferers.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3412244/

This is a AA case where the VDR was missing from the balding areas and treated with calcipotriene which is a synthetic Vitamin D derivative.

IvanXproject

Established Member
Reaction score
So the upregulation of the receptor may increase the responsiveness of the vitamin which in turn may help do some other sh*t

Good find

Who knows.. Maybe the prostoglandin protocol worked because the guy accidentally upregulated VDR lol

To my understanding they soaked cultured keratinocytes in 1,25(OH)2 Vit D3 which induced an increase in the VDR count. What would happen if these cells were injected into the human scalp afterwards? lol

Medina

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
To my understanding they soaked cultured keratinocytes in 1,25(OH)2 Vit D3 which induced an increase in the VDR count. What would happen if these cells were injected into the human scalp afterwards? lol

No idea. Might do something. But I guess it would still have to compete with DHT? This is all hypothetical of course.

I know the VDR competes with a lot of sh*t and can be inhibited by all kinds of bacteria and diseases, as well as our own hormones.

Jk1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So does this study mean if we increase serum vit d3 we increase the vit d recepor expression ? I.e self fulfilling .This exactly supports the theory above low serum vit d3 causes hair loss due to vit d recepror downregulation which reduces growth factors and increases inflammation. I wonder though if over time can high serum vitd3 reverse this process and increase vit d receptors ?

Medina

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Grasshüpfer

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
We do? How so?

We don't. Wishful thinking. :D

But melanocyte expression is connected, so there is a correlation between the Nordic phenotype and Androgenetic Alopecia. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

InBeforeTheCure

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
We don't. Wishful thinking. :D

But melanocyte expression is connected, so there is a correlation between the Nordic phenotype and Androgenetic Alopecia. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

But genetic variants associated with A.G.A = variants associated with lighter skin -> better absorption of UV radiation from the sun -> more efficient Vitamin D production -> higher risk of A.G.A. Clearly Vitamin D is the enemy. :D

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes I would want to raise my levels too but doing that without fixing the receptor issue will be a waste of time. We've seen this kinda thing again and again in hairloss forums. A study gets released and everyone jumps the gun without understanding the facts, and they sit around wondering why they never got any regrowth from that bottle of Vitamin D sitting in the cupboard.

You make a great point though about the other illnesses, I've done some reading in the past few days and there ARE connections.

Also, VDR's are low in the airways of Asthma sufferers.

Interesting comment on asthma.

I've long thought it relevant that women find bald men unattractive. The fact they do may be meaningful, and may signal that baldness actually means something beyond hair. Hair itself is totally useless, it serves no meaningful functional purpose, in terms of its function we're all better off getting comfortable buzz cuts.

But women do find baldness unattractive, just like they don't like inhibited secondary sexual features, facial asymmetry, etc. To me that suggests a general genetic failure beyond irrelevant hair follicles.

If it's the case that it's an issue of vitamin D receptors throughout the body, then that explains a lot.

Grasshüpfer

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
But genetic variants associated with A.G.A = variants associated with lighter skin -> better absorption of UV radiation from the sun -> more efficient Vitamin D production -> higher risk of A.G.A. Clearly Vitamin D is the enemy. :D

It makes sense as a simple adaption.

The further you go north the weaker the sun gets due to the angle of the earth to the sun. Additionally Europe was completely covered in forest.

If you had a weaker vdr expression, going bald was the one mutation, that would help y Po it survival. >> Sun collector theory.

Jk1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Inbefore the cure not all nordic people are bald :) some have lots of thin light colour hair. What i think is the reason is people lifestiles today being more indoors less vitamin d and this would explain why male pattern baldness is a lot worse for younger people these days. Its funny that anecdotaly i observe is that office workers seem to have a lot more male pattern baldness than homeless people... what we need now is studies compareing vit d and d receptor over the lives of people long term and see how it changes and compare the two groups and what factors effect it.. age is one. Vit d serum level another. Could it be long term low vit d causes vit d receptor reduction. Or daily lack of it or monthly ? As i would not be suprised if a little more often is better. But that is incompatible with our modern lifestyle sun exposure levels particularly in non tropical climates.

GiveMeAccessToMyAccount

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've used vitamin d3 regularly as directed in the bottle I got, from NOW foods, my hairloss kept going with no remorse. This was about 5 years ago. I'm not sure why, but while I was using it, my hairloss actually accelerated. When I got off it, my hair loss slowed down to normal male pattern baldness, I had to get on finasteride and minoxidil to stop my hairloss.

These studies make me confused, I don't know how vit d3 didn't work for me, and in fact accelerated things. Maybe because I was already getting d3 from sun, and too much of anything would hurt you.

Bklyn_23

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I take about 6000 IU of vitamin D daily. I do this because for the past several years at a minimum I've had very low D levels (25-35 nmol iirc; normal range is 75-125). I'm due for my annual blood work soon, and if my serum D is still < 40 while on this dosage, I'm gonna chalk it up to some endogenous factor that I can't control by supplementing/sun exposure (lack of/poorly functional receptors, hyperconversion of D to some other molecule etc.).

Interestingly, I know for a fact my hair loss has accelerated the past 2 years, but I always chalked it up to my absurd concealer use (with it pulling at/pulling out my hair as I comb through it) and/or excessive shampooing to get the concealer off and re-apply. If my D is low again I'll stop supplementing and see if it has any impact on hair fall. My hair falls out very easily.

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
Fascinating stuff here, I also have low vit D

However, I'm responding tremendously to minoxidil

Medina

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting that people are reporting accelerated loss on Vitamin D. It seems to act like a hormone from what I've read and taking too much of it probably is a bad idea for the hair. Just goes to show the importance of fixing the receptor issue first. (if that will even do anything)

"Vitamin D3 or 7-DHC or enzyme p450 inside the skin cells’ and adipose/fat tissue cells’ mitochondria transforms cholesterol through intracellular catalytic production into pregnenolone- the mother of all hormones. Pregnenolone transforms into progesterone or DHEA, plus pregnenolone changes into more vitamin D in a photochemical reaction from sunlight with stimulation of photons of UVB in your skin. Then progesterone transforms into cortisol. And DHEA, a neurosteroid, transforms into aldosterone, estrogen, testosterone, glucocorticoids, mineralocorticoids, and other essential hormones"

Jk1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I take about 6000 IU of vitamin D daily. I do this because for the past several years at a minimum I've had very low D levels (25-35 nmol iirc; normal range is 75-125). I'm due for my annual blood work soon, and if my serum D is still < 40 while on this dosage, I'm gonna chalk it up to some endogenous factor that I can't control by supplementing/sun exposure (lack of/poorly functional receptors, hyperconversion of D to some other molecule etc.).

Interestingly, I know for a fact my hair loss has accelerated the past 2 years, but I always chalked it up to my absurd concealer use (with it pulling at/pulling out my hair as I comb through it) and/or excessive shampooing to get the concealer off and re-apply. If my D is low again I'll stop supplementing and see if it has any impact on hair fall. My hair falls out very easily.
This is interesting to me because that is a huge amount to take per day ! and your levels still didn't rise ? why did you not try double not stop ?

This makes me wonder most people when they use the recommend 1-2000 IU per day are making little to no difference...

The other thing is maybe its only when we absorb vitamin D in the natural way from the SUN or cod liver oil that has Vit A that it actuality gets absorb properly ? like other vitamins the synthetic form maybe doesnt work as good or at all ?

Or maybe this effect only works topically ? the Alopecia areata and psoriasis all work for topical applicaton of Calcitorol/VIT D or cod liver oil.

And again it would not surpise me if topical is the main mode of action after all in the past UVB therapy was used for male pattern baldness, and also today LLLT light therapy seems to helps.. which is similar to the light u get from the sun ! so maybe nothing compares to SCALP And Body sun exposure ?? this is what i mean about modern day society maybe its impossible to get enough sun unless u live in the tropics.

And then the other thing is maybe the affect on the VIT D receptor is a long slow process that takes years of low serum VIT D, and to get them to come back to life, it takes years of high VIT D serum to increase the receptor levels ?

This is why a long term study would be interesting to compare VIT D and VIT D receptor levels of boys before and after puberty and again as they age vs male pattern baldness. At the time of puberty when some people start losing their hair, does the scalp inflammation start first? and then this reduces the VIT D receptors on the scalp ? or the other way around the VIT D receptor expression drops due to the androgens and then starts the inflammation process ?

Last edited: