Professor made a joke about my hairloss today

ali777

Reaction score
I love the way you Americans talk :punk:

You wouldn't hear a sentence like "Let's go to the class, the teacher is waiting" in Europe. A university teacher is a lecturer and the class is a lecture, so we would be saying "Let's go to the lecture, the lecturer is waiting"...

Anyway, if you think a particular lecturer is being unfair, you could always talk to the course organiser and voice your concerns. I don't know how your universities work, but around here there is way too much political correctness and the slightest hint of a complaint would be dealt with.

iwantperfection said:
teachers tend to be assholes. i find after few years at their job the power trip goes to their heads. hes probs jealous of your youth and trying to get a dig in cause your 'different'. my advice is to be the bigger man and laugh along with it and say nothing. however in saying that if it was me id issue a death threat while leaving class..but i guess thats just how i roll..

This is rather harsh. Just like in any other profession there are good teachers and bad teachers. You can't generalise like that. There are also good and bad students. You sound like you were the naughty guy who disrupted the peace of the class and made learning difficult for everyone.

iwantperfection

Experienced Member
Reaction score
as diddy wud say.. bad boy 4 life.

nah onli jokin. im uk student2. nvr disrupt a class.. im asleep half the time.

s.a.f

Reaction score
dudemon said:
I'll wait until he posts the final grades - in Jan. - then I'll have a "word" or two with him.

Dont go through his secretary though.

[youtube:1guxtbmc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiIAkkA_KW8[/youtube:1guxtbmc]

(There is a version with a bald student but I could'nt find it).

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Well then it would seem that you have enough evidence to make a formal complaint, although it's too bad that he is leaving next semester so it wouldn't really matter anyway. What a bastard, I think he just feels that since he is leaving anyway, that he can be such a dick but I also feel like he's probably projecting his own issues onto you Dudemon. Anyway, make your complaint to his superior, or to his face (or both) because getting it from the students is one thing, but from the teacher is totally uncalled for. Get an A first though. :)

Hammer87

Established Member
Reaction score
Complain about what, a BALD guy making BALD jokes?

Am I missing something? He's probably only doing it as he's a bit insecure about it so jokes about it.

I had lots of fat teachers joke about their weight. It wasn't a dig at the other fat kids in the class.

Bald isn't a taboo word, others can say it you know....

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
It's irrelevant to the subject matter and has no place in the classroom, period.

Hammer87

Established Member
Reaction score
What teacher maintains 100% on topic talk for a whole hour though? There needs to be some off topic discussion or it would be incredibly boring.

Being too sensitive/paranoid is the problem. If a black guy started talking about black people, would that be a problem to black students? Or a ginger haired teacher talking about ginger haired people? etc. etc

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
I've got a bald teacher too. He is great. Young guy (around my age) who shaves his head with a razor as he is an nw6 like me. His teaching style is pretty laid back, but he sticks to the subject matter and doesn't discuss his baldness or anyone elses flaws because he has enough common sense to not tread on such sensitive topics in class. If the class were sociology and the topic was different forms of descrimination, then I would personally volenteer to discuss being bald in society.

Hammer87

Established Member
Reaction score
My point is though, that to the majority baldness is not a sensitive subject. So isn't tip toed around. Develop thicker skin and there's no problem. To make a complaint, as the guy who's bald and obviously pissed off to the point that he's had hair transplant's about a bald man making subtle bald comments. - To say he'd come across as a bit of a joke is an understatement - The reality from someone who works in admin and is balding. People would read the complaint and burst out laughing, seriously.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Hammer, your point is diluted by your bad grammar, first of all. Second, still doesn't make it right. Why is it not acceptable to make fun of anything other than baldness? It would be an outrage if a teacher were to openly criticize a student for their race, religion, sexual preference, weight, physical/mental handicap or anything else in class so what makes being bald so different? I know other people realize that it is always open season to tease bald people for some reason, but that doesn't make it right and that is my point. Bald guys are supposed to shrug off these insults veiled as "jokes" and pal around like it's no big deal, but even if they don't show it on the outside, the victims of these jokes are probably hurt and deeply offended... as they should be.

Hammer87

Established Member
Reaction score
Bad grammer as I wrote that at 3am when I got home absolutely smashed. :mrgreen: Even though I don't remember writing that.....I never said it was right, I was just saying that's the way it is so you need to cope better, you can't change things.

iwantperfection

Experienced Member
Reaction score
a complaint wouldnt be taken seriousli. not the bald bit anyhows. uman.. i seen alot of ur posts in this section of the forum. are you young? u seem v hard hit by ur situation. ever considering consueling? (being sderious)

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Well if not dudemon, then the OP ought to give a brief warning to his teacher if he was bothered enough by what she said (you already know I would be) and if Ash's teacher just dismisses his request, then I would go higher. The fact that everyone has an inherent right to some amount of dignity seems to be lost upon some of you. Pardon me for sounding a little righteous here hamer, but you are telling me that I should just shut up and take it because that is the way things are and I can't do anything about it. Maybe that is what you should have told Rosa Parks when she refused to move to the back of the bus.