All we need to know about Bimatoprost for regrowth

Status
Not open for further replies.

moshe123

Reaction score
but if someone using minoxidil for a lo of time and he added the bim lately to the minoxidil formula and then saw a regroth then it probably because of the bim....

blaze

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Summerlily said:
Just realised a lil mistake on my calculations . There is the revised formula

) Dissolve 100mg of bimat in 4ml of DMSO
2) 1ml of 50% Benzalkonium chloride
3) 2ml of PG to enhance penetration (this is not part of the original lumigan ingredient list)
3) Top up 93ml of saline or PBS
TOTAL VOLUME = 100ml at the conectration of 1mg/ml. TEST PH and make sure it ranges from 6.8 - 7.3

Lumigan uses this vehicle because its designed to be dropped into the eyeball. Try putting ethanol into your eyeball.

I used 50% Alcohol, 30% PG and 20% distilled water as my vehicle. And before I made it I read that cayman PDF so was aware of the pH value needed.

After making the BIM topical I tested the pH and it was right around the desired pH of 7.

I still see no problem using the vehicle most are using.

From the cayman PDF, ethanol obviously poses no threat of degrading the BIM, nor does water.

Summerlily

Reaction score
Rabid said:
Summerlily said:
However, being a scientist, I do think that solution should be made up very similar if not exactly as the lumigan in order to expect the same or similar results. Different chemicals dissolve in different solutions and pH value can affect the effectiveness of a chemical. The ingredients of lumigan are:

ACTIVES: bimatoprost 0.3 mg/mL.
PRESERVATIVE: Benzalkonium chloride 0.05 mg/mL.
INACTIVES: Sodium chloride; sodium phosphate, dibasic; citric acid; and purified water.
The inactive is PBS (phosphate buffer saline). A solution used to maintain pH. Normal saline solution from the local pharmacy will serve the same purpose

All of the ingredients can be bought easily online ( well aside from bimat) and this recipie can be followed
http://www.caymanchem.com/pdfs/16820.pdf

Judging from that document, I gather that the solubility of bimat directly in PBS or saline is 300mcg/ml (0.03g/ml) the same concentration as Lumigan.
However to get a higher concentration you first have to dissolve it in Ethanol or DMSO at a concentration of 25mg/ml or 100mg/4ml and then dilute with PBS or saline to desired concentration and then add the preservative.. (I prefer DMSO to ethanol as I use it in the lab).

so basically you can get DMSO from http://cgi.ebay.com/DMSO-99-99-Pharmaso ... 2eb46ffcb3
and then the preservative from http://mistralni.co.uk/details.php?id=1 ... 4QodIBsEqg
and saline from your local pharmacy.

If I can get my hands on 100mg of bimat. I would make up 1mg/ml (over 3 times the concetration of lumigan). to do this I will

1) Dissolve 100mg of bimat in 4ml of DMSO
2) 10ml of 50% Benzalkonium chloride
3) 2ml of PG to enhance penetration (this is not part of the original lumigan ingredient list)
3) Top up 84ml of saline or PBS
TOTAL VOLUME = 100ml at the conectration of 1mg/ml. TEST PH and make sure it ranges from 6.8 - 7.3
and there you have your very own lumigan. To be on the safe side, you can use half or quater of the everything to get the same concentration of 1mg/ml.

I hope I have not given everyone brain freeze lol. I hope this helps anyone thinking of formulating their own solution. I already have dmso, PBS buffer. PG and Benzalkonium chloride ready all I need now is some bimat.

So come on peeps let us get another group purchase

NB: I will be more than happy to sell (for a very small fee) a batch of each ingredients as well as instructions. Measuring devices like pippetes can be easily obtained from ebay

You've hit on the key issue at the moment. Essentially, you're recommending using the original lumagin vehicle (but more concentrated) plus PG? That makes sense. The monkey study could have simply ommitted that PG was added to the solution as a way to enable scalp penetration. I'm going to try this, as in the worst case, it probably couldn't hurt.

To fill you in, most of us have been using a simple solution of bim dissolved in ethanol/PG. Are you familiar with other hair loss topicals like spironalactone, RU58841, minoxidil, etc.? These all are commonly used in a simple ethanol/PG vehicle. What is it about Bim that requires the more specialized solution, or are you sticking with the ingredients to remain consistent with the most common formulation or the cayman chemical data sheet guidelines?

I would really like to know the purity of the ethanol. what is the inital concentration and source? I work in a laboratory and have acess to 70% ethanol and 30% distilled water.

I guess there will be nothing wrong in using that vehicle if you first dissolve the bimat in ethanol and then top up with water and PG. Depending on the concentration of the ethanol, you may not even need preservative

Rabid

Established Member
Reaction score
Summerlily said:
I would really like to know the purity of the ethanol. what is the inital concentration and source? I work in a laboratory and have acess to 70% ethanol and 30% distilled water.

Polmos Spirytus rectified spirit, 192 proof, straight from the liquor store.

Ted Stryker

Reaction score
I have Everclear (95% alcohol by volume). I was going to dissolve the bimatoprost in this first and then add the PG and/or PG and distilled water.

I guess there will be nothing wrong in using that vehicle if you first dissolve the bimat in ethanol and then top up with water and PG. Depending on the concentration of the ethanol, you may not even need preservative[/quote]

Rabid

Established Member
Reaction score
blaze said:
Lumigan uses this vehicle because its designed to be dropped into the eyeball. Try putting ethanol into your eyeball.

I used 50% Alcohol, 30% PG and 20% distilled water as my vehicle. And before I made it I read that cayman PDF so was aware of the pH value needed.

After making the BIM topical I tested the pH and it was right around the desired pH of 7.

I still see no problem using the vehicle most are using.

From the cayman PDF, ethanol obviously poses no threat of degrading the BIM, nor does water.

Well put Blaze.

But why would the study use the eye drops?

Perhaps they refused to pay the outrageous prices these chem companies are charging for pure Bim powder, so they ordered a bunch of generic drops from the Indian Pharmacy, lol?

Hairyer Jet

Reaction score
I'd be interested in a group buy also.

I have some Revivogen scalp therapy 60 ml bottle with dropper. What do you guys think if i mix it with some Bimatoprost? And what's the best way to do it?

Do you think .06 Bima concentration is good or should it be stronger?

btw, that hamster is female right?

blaze

Experienced Member
Reaction score
no idea why they used the eyedrops. which study are you referring too?

I am surprised so many are wanting to try bimatoprost when they havent even tried minoxidil.

big3nme

Established Member
Reaction score
dopey said:
Anyone get any results yet rom Bim?

It's obviously a little too soon to report success/failure and I'm not going to be able to promise you the results are from Bim as I'm using RU as well but my hair is 100% without a doubt, getting better.

I have been on minoxidil for over 15 months now, Ive been off and on finasteride throughout the same time period (off for the last 7 months now, haven't taken a finasteride pill since eaaarly october). So I know my results are not from minoxidil anymore, if anything I am maintaining what minoxidil did for me.

I was also off and on RU, never consistent for more than 1.5 months. That has changed though, I finally have been consistent with RU for almost 2 months now and Bim for 2.5 weeks. My hair has never been like this. I can feel what I call "pricklies" all over the back of my crown and can see short hairs all over the top of my head. I am SO excited for the next 4 months. I honestly believe I am going to fully recover.

I have pics in my "story" post that document the first 14 months of my "journey." I made sure to take new pics before starting RU almost 2 months ago. I am considering them my new "baseline" as I continue to experiment with RU/BIM combo and hope to throw CB into the mix if we ever get that order straightened out.

blaze

Experienced Member
Reaction score
congrats big3nme.

Are you mixing RU in Rogaine still? OR did you end up making your own vehicle?

smitysmity

Established Member
Reaction score
Big,

So what do you think is doing it? Bim or RU?

How much Bim are you using?
How much RU are you using per time you apply?
Are you using them at the same time or one during the morning and one in the evening?
Why did you decide to go with Bim shortly after purchasing RU?

I'm seriously considering Bim now with RU myself while I wait for CB which hopefully if I see good results, I can get rid of the worst side effect one being finasteride.

Has anyone yet used Bim, CB, and RU all at once during the same day?

big3nme

Established Member
Reaction score
Well technically I first purchased RU from Kane last summer (almost a year ago). I used it for about 1.5 months then took a few months off and started it again for like almost 2 months..etc.. never was consistent with it and was the same with finasteride and finally stopped finasteride completely in october 2010.

The only thing I've been completely consistent with is minoxidil for over 15 months now.

As of February 19 2011 I "started" over. I haven't missed a day of RU since then and since April 13 2011 I haven't missed a day of BIM.

I am only going to use these 3 treatments for now on and see how they do. I have new baseline pictures I took Feb 19 2011 in my "story" thread.

My setup is as follows:

I mixed 34mg of BIM into 5% Kirkland minoxidil Bottle (60ml). I apply 2ml of this every morning.

Every evening I mix ~80-110mg of RU into .75-1ml of ethanol. Once it dissolves I add 2ml of 5% Kirkland minoxidil to it and apply.

The first 60ml bottle of minoxidil is almost gone and I havent reached the 3 week mark, which I'm a bit confused how it happened. I know some days I use slightly more than 2ml because I have trouble covering my entire scalp with just 2ml. Just didn't think I'd come up a full week short.

Oh forgot to mention i still use Nizoral shampoo every couple days. I am also considering derma rolling maybe once a week, kind of scared to do with with all these new chemicals but might help since I think a lot of the solution gets caught in my hair.

When I apply, I tend to work it in with fingers on both hands until it's sort of dry. Takes about 10 minutes maybe, it's not "dry" per se but leaves my hair greasy.

Im getting a hair cut today so maybe I'll take pictures as it's been over 2 months on RU and almost 3 weeks on BIM, I guess it wouldnt hurt to have new ones.

Any more questions I'm ready to answer them.

Guess I missed some of the questions..

I got Bim with RU because they do different things. RU is an AA and Bim is a growth stimulant. I feel like the combo should be great.

I am also trying to get some CB, I will rotate it in three times a week probably in place of the RU on those days.

smitysmity

Established Member
Reaction score
big3nme said:
Well technically I first purchased RU from Kane last summer (almost a year ago). I used it for about 1.5 months then took a few months off and started it again for like almost 2 months..etc.. never was consistent with it and was the same with finasteride and finally stopped finasteride completely in october 2010.

The only thing I've been completely consistent with is minoxidil for over 15 months now.

As of February 19 2011 I "started" over. I haven't missed a day of RU since then and since April 13 2011 I haven't missed a day of BIM.

I am only going to use these 3 treatments for now on and see how they do. I have new baseline pictures I took Feb 19 2011 in my "story" thread.

My setup is as follows:

I mixed 34mg of BIM into 5% Kirkland minoxidil Bottle (60ml). I apply 2ml of this every morning.

Every evening I mix ~80-110mg of RU into .75-1ml of ethanol. Once it dissolves I add 2ml of 5% Kirkland minoxidil to it and apply.

The first 60ml bottle of minoxidil is almost gone and I havent reached the 3 week mark, which I'm a bit confused how it happened. I know some days I use slightly more than 2ml because I have trouble covering my entire scalp with just 2ml. Just didn't think I'd come up a full week short.

Oh forgot to mention i still use Nizoral shampoo every couple days. I am also considering derma rolling maybe once a week, kind of scared to do with with all these new chemicals but might help since I think a lot of the solution gets caught in my hair.

When I apply, I tend to work it in with fingers on both hands until it's sort of dry. Takes about 10 minutes maybe, it's not "dry" per se but leaves my hair greasy.

Im getting a hair cut today so maybe I'll take pictures as it's been over 2 months on RU and almost 3 weeks on BIM, I guess it wouldnt hurt to have new ones.

Any more questions I'm ready to answer them.

Guess I missed some of the questions..

I got Bim with RU because they do different things. RU is an AA and Bim is a growth stimulant. I feel like the combo should be great.

I am also trying to get some CB, I will rotate it in three times a week probably in place of the RU on those days.

So you're planning on spending close to $3000+ a year on these products?

big3nme

Established Member
Reaction score
smitysmity said:
So you're planning on spending close to $3000+ a year on these products?

Yes.

I should be able to phase out RU or CB once we figure out which is better, you should not need two AA's. Ideally, CB 2 or 3 times a week would be sufficient and I would no longer need RU and then the price is cut way down.

Currently the BIM I have should last 6 months for the ~$400 I spent, doesn't look like i'll be able to get it at that price again but maybe in 6 months something will be figured out?

Im not sure how realistic this is but it could be possible: BIM + AA until desired regrowth is achieved and then drop the BIM and maintain. If all I had to do was CB twice a week it wouldn't be expensive at all.

But anyways, the answer was yes, I would be willing to spend close to $3K a year to have my hair back. I guess I make enough money and care about my hair where it's worth it to me. I don't think it will be that much forever though, prices should drop if these products actually work and more people are interested.

John979

Established Member
Reaction score
dopey said:
Anyone get any results yet rom Bim?

I started one month ago tomorrow. Given everything in my brew, its hard to seperate the wheat from the chaff but at least regrowth progress continues...

Ende

Reaction score
big3nme said:
Currently the BIM I have should last 6 months for the ~$400 I spent, doesn't look like i'll be able to get it at that price again but maybe in 6 months something will be figured out?
Sounds like you're doing great. My hair is getting better as well, and I'm using RU only. Don't worry about the bimatoprost price. The market price is ~$1500/g. OC will probably do a custom synthesis for you. 1 gram will last almost 3 years if you're using 1 mg a day. Manufacturers usually guarantee that the powder is stable for 2 years in the freezer, but I'm sure it'll last at least 3. Custom synthesis and 1 gram order is the way to go.

smitysmity

Established Member
Reaction score
Koutingchem.com is extremely slow at responding and OC is out of stock. Any other place to get Bimatoprost outside of Kane who people are saying is NOT reputable.

Status
Not open for further replies.