Exploring The Hormonal Route. Hair=life.

Stephen788

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That's What I was planning. I've just ordered spironolactone after reading many success stories.
There's some chances of gyno (about 50%), so I would keep tamoxifen in hand.

I started spironolactone at the start of jan and got gyno in March. And I spent the last 1.5 months getting rid of it. It’s still there because I can feel it but it is unnoticeable now. It’s just annoying that I can feel it. My head is shedding like mad now. The worst it has ever done. But I started oral min 1.5 months ago to so I do not know if it is that causing my shed of letrozole. Because a side effect of that is hairloss. But spironolactone nuked my testosterone. So I am planning on taking 100mg spironolactone and 25mg of bica. Definitely have letrozole or tamoxifen on hand though. As soon as those nipples get sensitive keep an eye out because the gyno hits you hard and develops super quick.

Father_of_Shiseido

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I started spironolactone at the start of jan and got gyno in March. And I spent the last 1.5 months getting rid of it. It’s still there because I can feel it but it is unnoticeable now. It’s just annoying that I can feel it. My head is shedding like mad now. The worst it has ever done. But I started oral min 1.5 months ago to so I do not know if it is that causing my shed of letrozole. Because a side effect of that is hairloss. But spironolactone nuked my testosterone. So I am planning on taking 100mg spironolactone and 25mg of bica. Definitely have letrozole or tamoxifen on hand though. As soon as those nipples get sensitive keep an eye out because the gyno hits you hard and develops super quick.
Why are you so afraid of gyno? Consider gyno surgery and avoid the use of tamox/ralox.

M

Member 139756

it pains me that such heartless people exist

it's thin but it is there, covered in fuzzies rather than slick skin. we just need to thicken those hairs.

I really think you should reconsider oral minoxidil, 70% of non responders to topical respond to oral. It might be the final push you need to unlock the threshold. I know the facial hair sucks but after the scalp hair has strengthened for awhile you could likely maintain on gradually reduced doses.

I'm giving a few quotes from another transwoman on another thread;

"I have been on oral 5mg for ~1 month. I was using foam before for 10+ years. Oral definitely jump started things."

"Of course I am on HRT for a year so it could be that, but I only seemed to thicken up to full thickness in my NW3 area for the year I have been on HRT."

" ANyways most of that is def oral minoxidil...and maybe derma rolling since I started same time. Been on everything else too long for it to be just now working."

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...st-popped-my-first-loniten-pill.107691/page-4

If you click the link, she uploaded pictures on page 5.

Well, I feel like I've just been given the cold shoulder by the guy I was falling for and sleeping with, so f*** the temporary facial hair.

What dose should I restart oral minoxidil on?

I have about 100 2.5mg tablets at present. I was taking 0.625 twice daily before I stopped in late May.

Thanks for looking at picture, but aside from the front of my hairline how can you see fuzzies on my scalp? How do you know it's not just long, thick transplant hair surrounded by gaps?

Love you, Bridgeburn. You f*****g legend.

I'mme

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, I feel like I've just been given the cold shoulder by the guy I was falling for and sleeping with, so f*** the temporary facial hair.

I have about 100 2.5mg tablets at present. I was taking 0.625 twice daily before I stopped in late May.

Thanks for looking at picture, but aside from the front of my hairline how can you see fuzzies on my scalp? How do you know it's not just long, thick transplant hair surrounded by gaps?

Just that he should accept I'm really losing my hair. :-D

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Tomorrow I visit my dermatologist, and I am going to display her the article I wrote about bicalutamide. Hopefully it will work, since off-label treatments are allowed to be prescribed if they are willing to do it. I will also ask for oral minoxidil, just so I have it; I’m not sure if I will actually use it or not. I hope the appointment doesn’t turn into a disaster!

I'mme

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow! It's really weird how spirono works different in different persons - for some it tanks T, for some it does nothing to T whereas for same it increases T.

Actually, my plan will be to start with 25mg morning&night and then increase to 50MG m&n. I will stop using it as soon as I get signs of gyno and will restart it as gnyo fades. If gyno doesn't go away, I will take a 7 day course of raloxifene.
My ultimate goal with it will be to reduce some T and then start bicalutamide. However, let me first see how fina and minoxidil (both t and oral) works out for me.

M

Member 139756

Just that he should accept I'm really losing my hair. :-D

Sorry, not sure what you mean. :/

Tomorrow I visit my dermatologist, and I am going to display her the article I wrote about bicalutamide. Hopefully it will work, since off-label treatments are allowed to be prescribed if they are willing to do it. I will also ask for oral minoxidil, just so I have it; I’m not sure if I will actually use it or not. I hope the appointment doesn’t turn into a disaster!

Good luck with the UK gatekeepers. <3

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don’t like how the NHS prescribes medications based on gender, and use the excuse of the medications not being licensed for treating hair loss. However, they prescribe spironolactone/cyproterone acetate/flutamide to women for treating female pattern hair loss yet those medications aren’t licensed for treating androgenic alopecia either. It’s an evident double standard, and it makes me irritated.
men are not supposed to care about vanity in any way except for muscles.. If I showed upset about hairloss I was often told sh*t like, "it's just hair" "you're a man, its normal". and people actually think it's Funny that we lose hair, it is the butt of jokes in so many sitcoms, etc.

Stephen788

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why are you so afraid of gyno? Consider gyno surgery and avoid the use of tamox/ralox.

I’ve had it and and I didn’t like it. I thought it wouldn’t bother me but it did. The problem with gyno surgery is from what I’ve seen unless you are muscular it just doesn’t look 100% normal after. It may just be me.

LEXUS

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I doubt women would take it for years, unless it's used for acne in which the dose is around 50MG/day. When it comes to female pattern hair loss, women do not prefer spironolactone because it doesn't show results at all. It appears that they generally opt for flutamide since that legitimately is effective for treating FPHL, and that is shown within studies. My mother has FPHL and I warned her not to use spironolactone, since I believe at an older age the chances of it becoming more harmful is heightened, and because it doesn't show results.

Hi. I think that it is not. spironolactone helps well. A lot has been written about this in the thread. The problem is that 70% of testosterone is produced in the testicles. and 30% of testosterone is produced in the adrenal glands. Cyproterone turns off only the testicles. and spironolactone turns off only the adrenal glands. This is all known. You can read the instructions. so if you accept one thing, the result will be weak. if you want your testosterone to be 0% then you have to take it all together. I was most afraid of gyno and liver problems. and now my dose is 10 times higher than the HRT regimen. and I feel myself divine.

Yar

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi. I think that it is not. spironolactone helps well. A lot has been written about this in the thread. The problem is that 70% of testosterone is produced in the testicles. and 30% of testosterone is produced in the adrenal glands. Cyproterone turns off only the testicles. and spironolactone turns off only the adrenal glands. This is all known. You can read the instructions. so if you accept one thing, the result will be weak. if you want your testosterone to be 0% then you have to take it all together. I was most afraid of gyno and liver problems. and now my dose is 10 times higher than the HRT regimen. and I feel myself divine.
Can testes produce estradiol?

Yar

My Regimen
Reaction score
[QUOTE = "LEXUS, сообщение: 1805430, участник: 139951"] Привет. Я думаю, что это не так. Спиронолактон помогает хорошо. Об этом много написано в ветке. Проблема в том, что 70% тестостерона вырабатывается в яичках. и 30% тестостерона вырабатывается в надпочечниках. Ципротерон отключает только яички. и спиронолактон отключает только надпочечники. Это все известно. Вы можете прочитать инструкции. так что если вы примете что-то одно, результат будет слабым. если вы хотите, чтобы уровень тестостерона составлял 0%, вы должны взять все это вместе. Я больше всего боялся гинекологических заболеваний и проблем с печенью. и теперь моя доза в 10 раз выше, чем в режиме ЗГТ. и я чувствую себя божественным. [/ QUOTE]
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC179885/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1262773/

Yar

My Regimen
Reaction score
[QUOTE = "bridgeburn, post: 1805376, member: 130663"] мужчины не должны заботиться о тщеславии каким-либо образом, кроме мышц. Если я расстроился из-за выпадения волос, мне часто говорили, что это дерьмо, "это просто волосы" " ты мужчина, это нормально ". и люди на самом деле думают, что смешно, что мы теряем волосы, это шутка во многих ситкомах и т. д. [/ QUOTE]
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC179885/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1262773/
Can testes produce estradiol?

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

Women don’t have testicles...

I'mme

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
And you don't have gyno and other sides?

KSA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow! It's really weird how spirono works different in different persons - for some it tanks T, for some it does nothing to T whereas for same it increases T.

Actually, my plan will be to start with 25mg morning&night and then increase to 50MG m&n. I will stop using it as soon as I get signs of gyno and will restart it as gnyo fades. If gyno doesn't go away, I will take a 7 day course of raloxifene.
My ultimate goal with it will be to reduce some T and then start bicalutamide. However, let me first see how fina and minoxidil (both t and oral) works out for me.

See, when using any medication remember, YMMV. This goes for OCPs, SSRIs, 5-AR inhibitors, Accutane - you name it. For example, I can't tolerate TRUVADA very well, and although not a listed side-effect of the drug - the high acidity I experienced on it caused me to shed quite a bit.

Spironolactone most often doesn't lower hormone levels at standard doses, and in any case, that is not the primary anti-androgenic mechanism of the drug. Spironolactone attaches itself to androgen receptors, thus blocking the effects of male hormones. The fact that it is steroidal should signal to the HPA that less testosterone production is needed, but that was not how it worked for me at all, and I was on 300mg for 4 months. Mind you, I broke out on 300mg and not on 100mg. Bizarre, right?

If I were you, I would give Finasteride more time and evaluate your success - it is much slower than Bicalutamide or CPA for sure, but it can be very effective and its feminization is negligible. As evidenced on this thread - your follicles will grow back on the right medication for you, but as you are young and only recently experienced Androgenetic Alopecia you are likely to find decent regrowth as your follicles cannot miniaturize that fast. My best regrowth on Flutamide came through in Fall 2013 and I had started in Jan 2012. It only improved thereafter, although reducing the dose would precipitate massive synchronized sheds and breakouts so I stayed on until Jan 2018. Don't internalize bromides on the internet about hair loss. eg: diffuse responds better to drugs; DUPA is incurable; finasteride is a scam; younger persons with Androgenetic Alopecia are likely to go bald faster - NO. Diffuse just means your genetic pattern is different - I never had temple recession until I went off Flutamide and that's not the pattern my dad has either; DUPA, if caused by Androgenetic Alopecia, will respond to anti-androgens; finasteride works wonders for many; and your genetic sensitivity is also a continuum with ups and downs - some men recede a bit and freeze there for decades. Androgenetic Alopecia is better identified as a component of androgenization than aging.

I think the biggest mistake I made was not understanding Androgenetic Alopecia and treatment when I was 20, and experienced my first synchronized shed on my crown - after discontinuing finasteride - and accepted Flutamide therapy from my doctors without questioning them. I was so terrified that those hairs were indeed lost that I was keen to do anything to control it. If you're losing hair, remember, you can always regrow it on the right support.
My dad actually experienced a bit of regrowth on Nutrafol (wtf?!) - and here I am more than half his age having popped all kinds of heavier medications. At the end of the day, no one cares about your hair as much as you do, and in my case absolutely no one remembered that I had a bald patch at 20 when my hair regrew x 9999 at 22 on Flutamide ; )

You're on top of it and things will work out for you! Only because I would have advised myself the following at your age (and I in no way mean to be disparaging or dismissive of your awareness and understanding of your own body and needs) - be strategic and deploy the AAs in the order they are needed.

xx KSA

I'mme

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
See, when using any medication remember, YMMV. This goes for OCPs, SSRIs, 5-AR inhibitors, Accutane - you name it. For example, I can't tolerate TRUVADA very well, and although not a
listed side-effect of the drug - the high acidity I experienced on it caused me to shed quite a bit.

Spironolactone most often doesn't lower hormone levels at standard doses, and in any case, that is not the primary anti-androgenic mechanism of the drug. Spironolactone attaches itself to androgen receptors, thus blocking the effects of male hormones. The fact that it is steroidal should signal to the HPA that less testosterone production is needed, but that was not how it worked for me at all, and I was on 300mg for 4 months. Mind you, I broke out on 300mg and not on 100mg. Bizarre, right?

If I were you, I would give Finasteride more time and evaluate your success - it is much slower than Bicalutamide or CPA for sure, but it can be very effective and its feminization is negligible. As evidenced on this thread - your follicles will grow back on the right medication for you, but as you are young and only recently experienced Androgenetic Alopecia you are likely to find decent regrowth as your follicles cannot miniaturize that fast. My best regrowth on Flutamide came through in Fall 2013 and I had started in Jan 2012. It only improved thereafter, although reducing the dose would precipitate massive synchronized sheds and breakouts so I stayed on until Jan 2018. Don't internalize bromides on the internet about hair loss. eg: diffuse responds better to drugs; DUPA is incurable; finasteride is a scam; younger persons with Androgenetic Alopecia are likely to go bald faster - NO. Diffuse just means your genetic pattern is different - I never had temple recession until I went off Flutamide and that's not the pattern my dad has either; DUPA, if caused by Androgenetic Alopecia, will respond to anti-androgens; finasteride works wonders for many; and your genetic sensitivity is also a continuum with ups and downs - some men recede a bit and freeze there for decades. Androgenetic Alopecia is better identified as a component of androgenization than aging.

I think the biggest mistake I made was not understanding Androgenetic Alopecia and treatment when I was 20, and experienced my first synchronized shed on my crown - after discontinuing finasteride - and accepted Flutamide therapy from my doctors without questioning them. I was so terrified that those hairs were indeed lost that I was keen to do anything to control it. If you're losing hair, remember, you can always regrow it on the right support.
My dad actually experienced a bit of regrowth on Nutrafol (wtf?!) - and here I am more than half his age having popped all kinds of heavier medications. At the end of the day, no one cares about your hair as much as you do, and in my case absolutely no one remembered that I had a bald patch at 20 when my hair regrew x 9999 at 22 on Flutamide ; )

You're on top of it and things will work out for you! Only because I would have advised myself the following at your age (and I in no way mean to be disparaging or dismissive of your awareness and understanding of your own body and needs) - be strategic and deploy the AAs in the order they are needed.

xx KSA
Well, first of all, thank you very much for writing this - it was comprehensive and educational. I will surely give Finasteride more time. I'm being desparate because this is the time (I'm 19) when I'm in college, having friends, and ofcourse, I wouldn't deny that if I get even 70% of my density (it should be roughly 50% atm) back, I would have better chances in dating world. I have to use caboki to avoid scalp see-through.

But I've not read a single success story of person with DUPA - many have come here, posted and now aren't found here. Also, there's no way to ensure that DUPA is caused by androgens - there simply isn't enough information on it.
I was diagnosed deficient in vit12 (lill deficiency) and vitD, but taking them for 3 months has done absolutely zilch for me; and this compels me to believe that I've Androgenetic Alopecia. Is there any test to ascertain this?

Last edited:

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
5mg a day, I wouldn't risk taking lower. Hair is first priority
It looks like more than that to me, I doubt you could've used that much donor without a noticeable occipital scar.. however even if im wrong, no matter where that hair came from it would look alot better if thickened.

and even places appearing to be pure skin will have tiny microscopic hairs trapped in limbo and they can get thicker.

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/aggressive-regemin-recovery-from-norwood-6-5.108177/

:):cool:

Last edited: