I hate commercials

cuebald

Reaction score
Sorry to bump this thread... I wonder if in 20 years hairloss adverts from now will seem just as comical?

[youtube:7fj6ox4m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYPQctgSQdo[/youtube:7fj6ox4m]

Thickandthin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Smooth said:
[youtube:3izj1zex]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9m4eQE7Xp8[/youtube:3izj1zex]

That video is a f*****g nightmare.

Anyway, I saw a fairly positive portrayal of a bald dude recently. It's a Frosted Mini-Wheats commercial, and the "protagonist" is a NW6 shaved white dude. He's got stubble growing in the horseshoe pattern, but the commercial seems neutral in regards to his baldness.

Thickandthin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thickandthin said:
Smooth said:
[youtube:1mgydk3p]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9m4eQE7Xp8[/youtube:1mgydk3p]

That video is a f****ing nightmare.

Anyway, I saw a fairly positive portrayal of a bald dude recently. It's a Frosted Mini-Wheats commercial, and the "protagonist" is a NW6 shaved white dude. He's got stubble growing in the horseshoe pattern, but the commercial seems neutral in regards to his baldness.

Oops, just saw UM made a comment about the same commercial. Oh well. Just goes to show how few positive or even neutral media portrayals there are of bald white men. lol.

dude77

Reaction score
I don't really let these types of commercials bother me .. it's life .. people will always take the piss out of other people in some shape or another .. I watch it as if I wasn't balding and laugh at the joke

one comment though .. I always find it comical the technique that's used by hair restoration companies to play on men's emotions .. with the before and after pictures .. before .. the guy's all sad and looks like he wants to kill himself with his bald head .. after .. head of hair and he's all happy and life is good .. no sh*t he's gonna look like crap with that facial expression hair or no hair .. I wonder how many guys actually fall for that .. it's a psychological trick which I see right through .. it's bullshit .. it almost gets me angry but then I realize how stupid it is and ultimately they're just trying to make a profit .. business is business I guess

CCS

Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
They can be so insulting, even when they are not directly criticizing your flaws they still do it by inferring them. Hair product commercials for men just devastate me now. Like this commercial for Gillete's new shampoo/conditioner that shows these young, handsome successful men (black, white and asian) playing with/styling their hair in front of the mirror with that oh so confident look. Going out for a hot night on the town after closing that important business deal (stupid fucks). Women throwing themselves at them, running their fingers through their....f****ing bastards. They assume beautiful hair is the pillar of all f****ing civilization.

I hate them too. Over a year ago when I was watching TV with a hot woman on her couch late at night, there were the Avocore hair loss commercials, and the male enhancement commercials. They implied that if I don't buy their product right now in front of the girl, then I don't care about my looks or satisfying her and there is something wrong with me for not wanting to buy it.

IBM

Reaction score
CCS said:
I hate them too. Over a year ago when I was watching TV with a hot woman on her couch late at night, there were the Avocore hair loss commercials, and the male enhancement commercials. They implied that if I don't buy their product right now in front of the girl, then I don't care about my looks or satisfying her and there is something wrong with me for not wanting to buy it.

Dude. You're always writing that you sit, eat and sleep with hot women but you never had sex and still hang with hot women. How's that possible? Be a friend of hot women? Did you ever had desire of do something with these hot women like grab their waist and kiss their neck?

If I were in your place i would commit some crazyness with these hot women even if it cost their friendship.

amsch

Reaction score
IBM said:
CCS said:

Dude. You're always writing that you sit, eat and sleep with hot women but you never had sex and still hang with hot women. How's that possible? Be a friend of hot women. Did you ever had desire of do something with these hot women like grab their waist and kiss their neck?

If I were in your place i would commit some crazyness with these hot women even if it cost their friendship.

didn't know that you suddenly got so much knowledge/experience with hot women, IBM.

IBM

Reaction score
amsch said:
didn't know that you suddenly got so much knowledge/experience with hot women, IBM.

amash or whatever. A men doesnt need experience with hot women to fantasize with hot women. And fantasize is not about sitting in a couch watching TV but having physical contact with women. All men imagine that all day long and i'm not exception.

And amash, abrax or whatever i never wrote, or if written a little, about relation with hot women just said a fact about what CCS write in these forum.

amsch

Reaction score
IBM said:
amsch said:

amash or whatever. A men doesnt need experience with hot women to fantasize with hot women. And fantasize is not about sitting in a couch watching TV but having physical contact with women. All men imagine that all day long and i'm not exception.

it's "amsch". :)

Thickandthin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Just for Men commercials are the f*****g worst.

Every guy in them is like 50+ with no wrinkles and absolutely phenomenal hair. Like a perfect NW1 and perfectly styled/textured hair. But oops - he's got gray hair! So that makes him undesirable and old.....never mind the fact that his hair is incredible for anyone at any age, much less middle age. And then once he colors it with their product, he instantly looks about 30 years old and then everything is hunky dory. He gets the date, gets the job, his family respects him more, etc.

It's like.....if you don't have a full head of thick perfect hair, don't even bother using our product.

iwantperfection

Experienced Member
Reaction score
luckily in the uk there are never adverts for hairloss products. thats thing about the u.s.. for such a great country theres a lot of cheesy tv. sometimes i think is this for real? like joe millionaire etc. and the voice over guys used for adverts. sound sooo cheesy.

ibm are you for real? t make urself out to be a real loser on these forums. sort ur life out man

s.a.f

Reaction score
Thickandthin said:
Just for Men commercials are the f****ing worst.
Every guy in them is like 50+ with no wrinkles and absolutely phenomenal hair. Like a perfect NW1 and perfectly styled/textured hair. But oops - he's got gray hair! So that makes him undesirable and old.....never mind the fact that his hair is incredible for anyone at any age, much less middle age. And then once he colors it with their product, he instantly looks about 30 years old and then everything is hunky dory. He gets the date, gets the job, his family respects him more, etc.
It's like.....if you don't have a full head of thick perfect hair, don't even bother using our product.

Thats because they use guys that are about 30 !! Those guys are'nt really grey, They just dye their hair a crappy grey colour then wash it out to reveal a perfectly natural looking head of hair. Come to think about it the after shots are probably just recorded before.
And yeah when you see those ads its as if they think the problem of baldness does'nt exist.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
It just sucks being a bald white male in this culture, period. People look at me like I am walking around with my pants around my ankles like they are embarrassed for me. Yeah, I realize it is shocking and it doesn't look good, maybe a little awkward and creepy but many people still infer that outward appearances are representative of our inner personality and they make split second shallow judgements about who we are as people, despite what should be common knowledge that we aren't what we look like.

Smooth

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I can sympathize with Um. although i personaly dont give a f*** what poeple on the street think of me, i dont understand tho, if it bothers you so so much, why dont you order a system then? they are not bad, you've seen the pictures, give it a shot....NOTHING is worth the way you feel, you cant keep living like this, its not healthy, get that damn system, get that confidant up and running again, get some none-tranny pounany again ( :crazy: ), i belive that for a few years this can work out for you... atleast untill you hit acceptance or untill some propper treatment will come out.

barcafan

Reaction score
Yeah dude it seems you're extremely bothered by it but have never taken steps to really alleviate any of the burden. Try a system bro

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Thanks for not flaming me guys. Yeah, I'm going to look into it. I need to feel happy and secure again.

CCS

Reaction score
I got a system. Color and direction did not match, but I wore it anyway. No one noticed since my hair transplant went the wrong direction too, so my hair probably just looked thicker. There was a steep learning curve at first, but I got it down to 30 minutes a day within a week. If you experiment with different toupe's and get one that matches your color, etc, I bet you could do much better.

Anyway, the point I'm getting to is I stopped wearing mine because I'm a nW2 and don't need one super bad and thought it was a hassle and $80+ per month is too much for right now. But it gave me a whole new outlook on life just knowing I had the option. I did not feel suicidal anymore at all because I knew that any time in the future I could just go get a hair piece and have perfect hair, even a full cap if necessary. Yeah, it is not as good as a NW1, but you can shape it better than most NW1's. You can be denser than most NW1's with a full cap, if you darken your eyebrows.

You don't believe this because you have not seen it yet. But once you get one, put it on, get it on right, and realize how good it is, you won't even need to wear it to feel good about life. Just knowing you have the option will be good enough for then, until you know for sure what you want to do and what you can afford now or later.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
You know they make fun of guys who go to lengths to cover their baldness, but they just as easily make fun of someone who doesn't. How is that fair? Us bald guys should have some sort of compensation for all the sh*t we have to take. f*** the media.

Eureka

Established Member
Reaction score
What confuses me is actually buys stuff because of commercials like that?

Bosely and extenz are two of the most ridiculous commercials I see.. Or I suppose they are rather infomercials. But it's all relative. Any commercial that is doing something aside from simply pointing out that their product actually exists is suspect to me. They are all biased.. why would I buy something.. based on an argument to do so from a commercial which was funded by the people who stand to make money from me buying their product?...

The world would be a more understanding environment if we could all live in each others shoes for a day. I suppose virtual technology will make that happen someday, I hope something positive comes from it.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Saw a new one the other day for Axe hair shampoo or something. A girl says to a pig, "Find me a dirty boy." then lets the pig out into the mall. The pig runs around squeeling until he tackles some guy with greasy hair. Then the girl shouts out some statistic with a megaphone that 90% of women find greasy hair a turn off. That's all fine I guess, but the tag line pissed me off a little- Get girl approved hair. I understand that hair is important for women. For themselves, hair is a huge part of their overall image and identity, but these same women (being hair obsessed as they are) expect the same from their male counterparts. So lets not kid ourselves when we say women don't focus on hair.