Interesting Study On Attractiveness Overestimation

CopeForLife

My Regimen
Reaction score
You think that because you spend all day on Instagram.

In the outside world they have average to above average faces.

it is just plain ugly face with dick sucking lips and not even an average

second one is bit above average and will be ok with low body fat

Baldhurts

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
The amount of cope in this post is ridiculous. The first two guys' bodies are disgusting. Doughy and lard-addled in the extreme. I'd literally never take off my top if I had moobs like that first guy. They're both below average facially as well. Don't kid yourself David. The dude at the bottom left (when he was in shape) is a 7, maybe a 7.5. He fucks over Baldhurts but he's no Kelly Slater (young + with hair, of course). The girl's pretty nice, probably a 7/8 also. But yeah, those first two dude's are incel material. If I had their bodies I'd off myself. And if you have a physique like those first guys, I'd advise you to starve yourself until you don't.

Of course the bodybuilder slays over me, why on earth would I even be in the same sentence. Just lol.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
The amount of cope in this post is ridiculous. The first two guys' bodies are disgusting. Doughy and lard-addled in the extreme. I'd literally never take off my top if I had moobs like that first guy. They're both below average facially as well. Don't kid yourself David. The dude at the bottom left (when he was in shape) is a 7, maybe a 7.5. He fucks over Baldhurts but he's no Kelly Slater (young + with hair, of course). The girl's pretty nice, probably a 7/8 also. But yeah, those first two dude's are incel material. If I had their bodies I'd off myself. And if you have a physique like those first guys, I'd advise you to starve yourself until you don't.

Cope.

The fact is you guys really need to leave the house more often.

Go to a grocery store, or an airport, or a courtoom, or a beach, or whatever, and look around.

Less than 5% of the people will be a 6/10 on your instagram-riddled worldviews.

Your idea that everybody below the top 5% should kill themselves is a cope, so that you believe there is no point in living, that nothing is in your control.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Eh? Sorry Davey boy but you're dead wrong on this one. These guys are incels 100%. I suspect what's going on here is that you identify yourself with them lookswise and are therefore truly to cope-up and kid yourself that these dudes (and by extension yourself) look okay. They don't. These guys are subhuman. And every 6+ 18-25 girl in the world would agree with me.

LOL more coping on your part.

Like I said, leave the house more often, stop looking at the computer all day.

Try and look at people -- real people, rather than a google image search for Mischa Barton.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Most of them are disgusting, maybe 5-10% are acceptably good-looking. The rest, quite frankly, just revolt me.
If 90-95% of people revolt you then you have a serious issue.

See above. I do look at real people. I don't spend my days trawling through instagram you fat prick. For a so-called-scientist you really should be beyond trafficking in assumptions.
Quit the cope and loss some weight,
Fred
LOL.

SmoothSailing

My Regimen
Reaction score
And for the record, I've literally never even been on instagram in my life. Never had an account, never looked at any pictures on there, not with any regularity at least (I've access the site about 10 times in the last 2 years). My opinions are based on what I see everyday, the people I see in the flesh. Most of them are disgusting, maybe 5-10% are acceptably good-looking. The rest, quite frankly, just revolt me.

If you think that first guy is incel material either you live somewhere very unusual or you are not paying attention to the people around you.

So long as he's not sub 5'7 I'm almost certain he could play with 6's on Tinder here. Definitely if he got in shape.

CopeForLife

My Regimen
Reaction score
Cope.

The fact is you guys really need to leave the house more often.

Go to a grocery store, or an airport, or a courtoom, or a beach, or whatever, and look around.

Less than 5% of the people will be a 6/10 on your instagram-riddled worldviews.

Your idea that everybody below the top 5% should kill themselves is a cope, so that you believe there is no point in living, that nothing is in your control.

At first in full white western countries like Australia there are most than 10% of good looking guys. Much more.

Second, I do not know how ratings correlates with actual count of people in particular rating value.

Average do not mean 50/50 and you, as scientist, should know that.

Try to calculate average salary in your city and you will end with majority of people lay under that average cut off.

Your inner cope mechanism regarding look is too strong not sure you will overcome it soon.

CopeForLife

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think @FredTheDutchman and I have almost exact rating skills and view of world in general.

Starting from rating chicks, guys and ending with refusing to "overpay" (emotionally and etc) for bang sub6/10 chicks.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
At first in full white western countries like Australia there are most than 10% of good looking guys. Much more.

Second, I do not know how ratings correlates with actual count of people in particular rating value.

Average do not mean 50/50 and you, as scientist, should know that.

Try to calculate average salary in your city and you will end with majority of people lay under that average cut off.

Your inner cope mechanism regarding look is too strong not sure you will overcome it soon.

If the rating scale starts at 0, then the median is 5/10. For some people the rating scale starts at 1, so then the median is 5.5. It's not that hard. Given that you're a software developer, you should know.

Average salary is not that meaningful, that's why social scientists and economists report median income. For example the median household income in the USA is around $52,000/year, which means 50% of households have less income, and 50% have more.

As for beauty, given that it's a multivariable thing due to vast inputs from genes and environment with various independent components (unlike your stated example of salary) it will follow the central limit theorem, the average will be very close to the median.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I rate men (and to a lesser extent, women) the way that women have been shown to rate men. Virtually binary. I'm not ashamed of this, that's how the real world works. I genuinely find anyone who's below a 6/7 out of 10 absolutely disgusting. Could not touch them with a 50 foot pole. I make no apologies for this. And its not an uncommon attitude to take. A 5/10 for me isn't the 50th percentile, and a 7/10 isn't the 70th. You've also got to remember that these things aren't linear. The top 10% of the people are not 9's. It's a bell curve (though I'm 99% sure you're already aware of this).

Right, so 7/10 is rarer than 70th percentile for you, and you find anybody below 7/10 "absolutely disgusting".

So let's say that means you find 85% of people in your age group absolutely disgusting -- that's not a good thing.

I hope you realize that at some point.

SmoothSailing

My Regimen
Reaction score
I rate men (and to a lesser extent, women) the way that women have been shown to rate men. Virtually binary. I'm not ashamed of this, that's how the real world works. I genuinely find anyone who's below a 6/7 out of 10 absolutely disgusting. Could not touch them with a 50 foot pole. I make no apologies for this. And its not an uncommon attitude to take. A 5/10 for me isn't the 50th percentile, and a 7/10 isn't the 70th. You've also got to remember that these things aren't linear. The top 10% of the people are not 9's. It's a bell curve (though I'm 99% sure you're already aware of this).

That's fine, that's how you view people. But we are not talking about whether you would f*** these guys.

There's 2 ratings in my opinion.

Your own rating, which will be heavily skewed by your attractiveness level and personal bias.

Your guess as to what that persons average rating would be, this shouldn't be skewed by your attractiveness level or your 'binary' rating system.

So we're not wondering whether you would you 'go near this guy with a 50ft pole". We're wondering do you think 6/10 girls would? And I think so. Your judgement seems to be to blinded by your own rating to make a fair assessment.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's fine, that's how you view people. But we are not talking about whether you would f*** these guys.

There's 2 ratings in my opinion.

Your own rating, which will be heavily skewed by your attractiveness level and personal bias.

Your guess as to what that persons average rating would be, this shouldn't be skewed by your attractiveness level or your 'binary' rating system.

So we're not wondering whether you would you 'go near this guy with a 50ft pole". We're wondering do you think 6/10 girls would? And I think so. Your judgement seems to be to blinded by your own rating to make a fair assessment.

Thanks, that's a good point and a good reminder that we should distinguish our own ratings from our estimates of objective attractiveness.

For example pictures of Sandra Bullock were posted here a few day ago. I've almost never found her attractive, but I would not call her unattractive. I'm sure she always had a long line of men wanting her. It's just a quirk of my tastes. Same is true of Malin Ackerman.

CopeForLife

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dude. You're chasing down chubbers on Bumble. Desperation, aspergers and COPEphine have skewered your views of attractiveness. You're throwing pokeballs at Whalmers. Claiming that 20% body fat Michelin men are attractive to females. You've lost the plot mate.

I lol at this.

If the rating scale starts at 0, then the median is 5/10. For some people the rating scale starts at 1, so then the median is 5.5. It's not that hard. Given that you're a software developer, you should know.

Average salary is not that meaningful, that's why social scientists and economists report median income. For example the median household income in the USA is around $52,000/year, which means 50% of households have less income, and 50% have more.

As for beauty, given that it's a multivariable thing due to vast inputs from genes and environment with various independent components (unlike your stated example of salary) it will follow the central limit theorem, the average will be very close to the median.

Not sure if you haven't bought your degree.

Median and average are a completely different terms. And I doubt it has some value in context of looks. Only as cope like "wow I am 4.5/10 so I am only 0.5p from median!!!". Yes, maybe you somewhere around median but you are FAR away from being average.

"Average" is really fluctuate variable tho. Tens years ago "average" was like today's 5.5/10. Today average is 6.75/10.

SmoothSailing

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not talking about f*****g them. I'm speaking in terms of objective attractiveness, pure aesthetics. I'm not gay.

" I genuinely find anyone who's below a 6/7 out of 10 absolutely disgusting. "

Well then this comment is completely irrelevant.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not sure if you haven't bought your degree.

Median and average are a completely different terms. And I doubt it has some value in context of looks. Only as cope like "wow I am 4.5/10 so I am only 0.5p from median!!!". Yes, maybe you somewhere around median but you are FAR away from being average.

"Average" is really fluctuate variable tho. Tens years ago "average" was like today's 5.5/10. Today average is 6.75/10.

Actually, I didn't pay them, they paid me. It was a top-ten program. I received multiple scholarships and awards.

In the case of a Gaussian, the median and the average have exactly the same value.

You're claiming to be educated on these matters, but you're failing a high school math question.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score

EvilLocks

Reaction score
My opinions are based on what I see everyday, the people I see in the flesh. Most of them are disgusting, maybe 5-10% are acceptably good-looking. The rest, quite frankly, just revolt me.

I dunno, must be hard looking around and being genuinely disgusted by 90-95% of all people. What do you think makes you feel like this? Yeah most people aren't oil paintings, but that's taking it to a whole other level...

SmoothSailing

My Regimen
Reaction score
No, a 6/10 girl would not hook up with these guys. She might drunkenly make out with them at a party, but she would never stoop so low as to date them and when their clothes came off she would be drying up quicker than Donald Trump's cash pile.

Lol you're probably right, because your 6/10 are probably my 8/10's. :p

All I'm saying is that first guy is not incel material.

CopeForLife

My Regimen
Reaction score
Actually, I didn't pay them, they paid me. It was a top-ten program. I received multiple scholarships and awards.

In the case of a Gaussian, the median and the average have exactly the same value.

You're claiming to be educated on these matters, but you're failing a high school math question.

The main point was that average is something that changes from time to time.

With males being born with constant looks distribution they will have same median.

But "average looks" is something that depends not only how males look but it is almost detached from actual male looks distribution.

"Average looks" is a function from:
– females desires
– social media looks obsession
– accessibility of sex for females as main "consumer" of males look
– etc.

The most coefficient has 3-rd variable.

The less effort women put into getting sex with hot guy the more "average" cut off will be. They do not calculate Gauss distribution as incels do. They are primal creatures. They see a clique of hot guys from 7/10 to 9/10 (usually GL guys flocks together) and their "average" will be the average from this clique.

No Big Data computing skill required here.