New Dermaroller Study; Thoughts, comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Do you have a before and now pic (showing your complete head)?

I wish MJ! Never though having premature success with rolling!

- - - Updated - - -

1-The duration of the treatment is about 10 minutes. I roll non stop all over the top of my head, in my front line and in my temples. I roll 3 direction: Vertically, horizontally and diagonally. I roll around 8 to 10 times in each directions with a little bit of pression, just enough to bleed.

2- I roll every friday night

3- I started 5 weeks ago.

4- I bleed everywhere. I will post a picture next week. However, I seems to bleed more and more each time I'm doing it.

5- I have been using minoxidil since more than a year and I always got dandruff from it. For me, it does not seems to be skin. It seems to be minoxidil residues

6- I'm using 1.5mm Dr. Roller

7- The first two days after the rolling session I'm using the head&shoulders shampoo to avoid using anti-inflammatory. I'm using the revita shampoo 1% keto every other days.

Additional info: I'm using the 5% kirkland minoxidil one time a day.

Norwood level 3.
My hair on the top of my head is about 5 cm. long.

- - - Updated - - -

This is my head. I took this picture the first week of the treatment to see the results on the long term.

kwjk.png

Keep up the good work Mik! bad ***!

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok guys, I'm not doubting anyone hear but there are no before and after pics! I mean this could all be in our heads - wishful thinking.... Luckily, I've been taking photo's from the start and although my hair feels thicker; there is no difference when I compare to before pictures.... I'm not claiming that this technique does not work, I just think its too early to see a difference in full (before and after) head shot.

The feedback seems promising but WE NEED TO TAKE PHOTO'S (if you have not already started)........

Sparky4444

Reaction score
Is the the same thing they also call Peppermint Essential Oil?
One drop of it will smell up the whole room for an hour etc?

I heard that applying anything more than a 1% essential oil solution to the skin is detrimental (for the skin).

Are you planning to apply the oil directly, without dilution?

Don't know...Japanese mint oil is strong..it will smell, but it smells nice...for me anyways...like coming back after a massage...no dilution, just straight in

I put some on my hand and rolled a bit with it -- didn't break skin, but it will help ease that first shot of pushing it in

DesperateOne

Banned
Reaction score
Just had my 8th roll, I know everyone is different but this is too damn painful for me. I did see some blood but I couldn't even do much in my crown as it was too much for me today. I even took the advice of washing my heah but I don't think it did much. I looked at amazon for that mint oil and am thinking about it but don't know if it will work. Since it hurts more on more bald scalp because of no fat, maybe we can apply emu oil to it to thicken it up?

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
1-The duration of the treatment is about 10 minutes. I roll non stop all over the top of my head, in my front line and in my temples. I roll 3 direction: Vertically, horizontally and diagonally. I roll around 8 to 10 times in each directions with a little bit of pression, just enough to bleed.

2- I roll every friday night

3- I started 5 weeks ago.

4- I bleed everywhere. I will post a picture next week. However, I seems to bleed more and more each time I'm doing it.

5- I have been using minoxidil since more than a year and I always got dandruff from it. For me, it does not seems to be skin. It seems to be minoxidil residues

6- I'm using 1.5mm Dr. Roller

7- The first two days after the rolling session I'm using the head&shoulders shampoo to avoid using anti-inflammatory. I'm using the revita shampoo 1% keto every other days.

Additional info: I'm using the 5% kirkland minoxidil one time a day.

Norwood level 3.
My hair on the top of my head is about 5 cm. long.

- - - Updated - - -

This is my head. I took this picture the first week of the treatment to see the results on the long term.

kwjk.png

Awesome, thanks. Now this really gives me hope, because my head looks exactly like yours. We have exactly identical baldness progress. If you can regrow that well, maybe I can too? :D
Though the big question is if all those tiny hair you got there are going to turn terminal.

I also got the feeling that I bleed more easily each time I roll. My theory is that the tissue we destroy is the hard fibrotic tissue, which is replaced with new, soft (and thus more easily damagable) tissue during healing.

By the way, the study cited in this thread gives hope to not only follicle neogensis, but actually reactivating miniaturized follicles, if I understood it correctly.

Sparky4444

Reaction score
squeeg' -- so with the 2.5mm, you're still bleeding but your not digging it in so much?? Almost like you're breaking the skin with quick application of pressure as opposed to sticking it in and holding it there???

Breaking Bald

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry but what do these pictures show exactly? They are useless without a before/after comparison. How are you sure they are new hairs and not just miniaturising ones? I think §you guys are just desperate to see results, we have no CLEAR before/after pictures.

odalbak

Established Member
Reaction score
My theory is that the tissue we destroy is the hard fibrotic tissue, which is replaced with new, soft (and thus more easily damagable) tissue during healing.

- I'm not sure I understand. Since not all square millimiters of skin are touched by the needles (actually just a minority of the whole scalp surface) how could a replacement of fibrotic tissue happen except exactly where the needles were inserted? Or is the fibrose like biscuit or cheese, you pierce lots of holes and the fibrotic structure is breaking everywhere even where you didn't pierce, like crumbling stock cube? Hearing the sound the needles produced when they get in I doubt scalp is like biscuit, more like leather to me.

- how is fibrotic tissue exactly? I'm asking this question because I'm wondering about how neogenetic hairs can get thicker if their shaft is surrounded with hard fibrotic tissue. Once they get their way through the thin tunnel a needle has made, why shouldn't they get strangled and unable to get thicker with time?

Mikazz

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry but what do these pictures show exactly? They are useless without a before/after comparison. How are you sure they are new hairs and not just miniaturising ones? I think §you guys are just desperate to see results, we have no CLEAR before/after pictures.

The point of my picture is that it shows new hair growing in almost every holes caused by the dermaroller. I can't be lucky enough to hit every follicles when I was rolling which means that it did force to grow new hairs. We do not need before/after pictures for that.

Chelaxing

Reaction score
the pain and bleeding for me happens when I roll with a lot of pressure. using a longer needle with less pressure does indeed make sense. so using a 2.5mm to get 1-1.5mm of the needle into the skin would accomplish the same goal but would probably require less pressure, less bleeding and is less painful than the a 1.5mm. I think that's why squeegie says its less painful with the 2.5mm.

I wish i knew that before buying my 1.5mm roller.

DesperateOne

Banned
Reaction score
the pain and bleeding for me happens when I roll with a lot of pressure. using a longer needle with less pressure does indeed make sense. so using a 2.5mm to get 1-1.5mm of the needle into the skin would accomplish the same goal but would probably require less pressure, less bleeding and is less painful than the a 1.5mm. I think that's why squeegie says its less painful with the 2.5mm.

I don't think that's true because as soon as go in a bit it starts to hurt. It may hurt less if we roll fast but I don't know.

Chelaxing

Reaction score
I don't think that's true because as soon as go in a bit it starts to hurt. It may hurt less if we roll fast but I don't know.

i don't know either. but this whole pain thing is kind of exaggerated to be honest. i mean it's only 10-15 minutes a week. the pain is tolerable so for me it's not really that big of an issue.

odalbak

Established Member
Reaction score
i mean it's only 10-15 minutes a week. the pain is tolerable so for me it's not really that big of an issue.

All things being equal, less pain = less wounding. Period. If it's only 10-15 minutes a week that means you're not wounding much, which could be enough for hair neogenesis, who knows?, but I challenge anyone about inserting the 1.5mm needles fully and do the work in just 15 minutes… It takes me 1 hour to do this because of the pain — i'm not using any numbing cream and my hair is shaved at 5mm length. Now it's true that the Indian guys probably didn't insert the needles entirely so maybe what I do and the pain I endure are not necessarily.

I really want to rationalize the method. I'm thinking of getting a 1.0mm roller (or maybe even 0.75mm) and keep the process of pushing to the full on the roller. Consistency with shorter needles is better than random depth with longer ones. Had my 3rd wounding session yesterday and really I don't think I'll want to feel the same pain for 3-4 months or more. Also less pain means I have the option to do more rolling and therefore more holes in my scalp (and get more follicle neogenesis).

Sparky4444

Reaction score
what about rolling in stages?? 0.5mm to get the ball rolling..1.5 a little harder..than 2.5mm at the end?? Makes sense to me

DesperateOne

Banned
Reaction score
i don't know either. but this whole pain thing is kind of exaggerated to be honest. i mean it's only 10-15 minutes a week. the pain is tolerable so for me it's not really that big of an issue.

Oh I assure you it's no exaggeration on my part, it hurts so bad that I think if it is really worth it. I guess I have very thin or sensative skin, I don know, all that I know for sure is that I really wanted to do the 30mins but the pain was just too much.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
what about rolling in stages?? 0.5mm to get the ball rolling..1.5 a little harder..than 2.5mm at the end?? Makes sense to me

Sparx4444... Just do it quick.. like a friggin band-aid! or get the 2.5mm!

- - - Updated - - -

squeeg' -- so with the 2.5mm, you're still bleeding but your not digging it in so much?? Almost like you're breaking the skin with quick application of pressure as opposed to sticking it in and holding it there???

It just works better in any ways! Less pain, better control.. Try it! Just a better size for the job.(scalp)

Mikazz

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if the excessive pain is not due to the brand of your dermaroller. Some cheap dermaroller may have bad needle quality.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Just had my 8th roll, I know everyone is different but this is too damn painful for me. I did see some blood but I couldn't even do much in my crown as it was too much for me today. I even took the advice of washing my heah but I don't think it did much. I looked at amazon for that mint oil and am thinking about it but don't know if it will work. Since it hurts more on more bald scalp because of no fat, maybe we can apply emu oil to it to thicken it up?

Put a towel in your mouth and stop being a pussy!:doctor: Seriously, get the 2.5mm. way better.

- - - Updated - - -

He gets it! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^;)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm wondering if the excessive pain is not due to the brand of your dermaroller. Some cheap dermaroller may have bad needle quality.

Don't think it is the difference maker.

- - - Updated - - -

Chelaxing for the President ASAP!

- - - Updated - - -

All things being equal, less pain = less wounding. Period. If it's only 10-15 minutes a week that means you're not wounding much, which could be enough for hair neogenesis, who knows?, but I challenge anyone about inserting the 1.5mm needles fully and do the work in just 15 minutes… It takes me 1 hour to do this because of the pain — i'm not using any numbing cream and my hair is shaved at 5mm length. Now it's true that the Indian guys probably didn't insert the needles entirely so maybe what I do and the pain I endure are not necessarily.

I really want to rationalize the method. I'm thinking of getting a 1.0mm roller (or maybe even 0.75mm) and keep the process of pushing to the full on the roller. Consistency with shorter needles is better than random depth with longer ones. Had my 3rd wounding session yesterday and really I don't think I'll want to feel the same pain for 3-4 months or more. Also less pain means I have the option to do more rolling and therefore more holes in my scalp (and get more follicle neogenesis).

I used to do it in 5 minutes. Towel in my mouth. Fast and furious on the roller. **** it. then I discovered the 2.5mm. No more bitching about the pain.

- - - Updated - - -

- I'm not sure I understand. Since not all square millimiters of skin are touched by the needles (actually just a minority of the whole scalp surface) how could a replacement of fibrotic tissue happen except exactly where the needles were inserted? Or is the fibrose like biscuit or cheese, you pierce lots of holes and the fibrotic structure is breaking everywhere even where you didn't pierce, like crumbling stock cube? Hearing the sound the needles produced when they get in I doubt scalp is like biscuit, more like leather to me.

- how is fibrotic tissue exactly? I'm asking this question because I'm wondering about how neogenetic hairs can get thicker if their shaft is surrounded with hard fibrotic tissue. Once they get their way through the thin tunnel a needle has made, why shouldn't they get strangled and unable to get thicker with time?

I see it like a new paint job.. Better the sanding , better the Paint job! :salut:

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
where did you get your's again squeeg'?? I got my 1.5mm off ebay...

amazon.ca Sparxxxxxxx but they seem to be out of stock lol ...ebay.ca has better selection and stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.