New Dermaroller Study; Thoughts, comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesperateOne

Banned
Reaction score
Lol, I actually kept telling myself, come on man, stop being a Pussy and just do it. Haha, I was able to tolerate the top relatively well, but when I went to the sides, it was game over.

zombiehair

Reaction score
The pain doesn't bother me much ,kind of therapeutic. I don't bleed that much a few red dots here and their .I don't think this is because of a lack of pressure more my scalp appears to be very thin .
I like the suggestion from sparx4444 about rolling in stages

now I have a few rollers with different sized needles I might use them all each session.

I rolled last night and now the thought of waiting a week wondering if Ive done enough ,I might roll again today do some more damage :)

closetmetrosexual

Established Member
Reaction score
I really want to rationalize the method. I'm thinking of getting a 1.0mm roller (or maybe even 0.75mm) and keep the process of pushing to the full on the roller. Consistency with shorter needles is better than random depth with longer ones.

Up until before I came across this new study that some of us are trying to replicate, I rolled my scalp every Friday with a 1.0mm 192 needle roller. I had been doing this for a little more than 1½ year. For 5 months within this 1½ year period, I also applied Minoxidil to my hairline and temples.

While rolling, I never drew blood. I did press fairly hard, and it hurt like a b**ch.

Results: absolutely nothing, other than further thinning on my left temple.

I had given up on the whole dermarolling thing, but I somehow still kept doing it, perhaps hoping for a miracle.

So, fast forward to now. I'm now thinking that either I'm a really bad responder to dermarolling and Minoxidil in general - or I simply did not wound severely enough for all these months.

Take this info and do with it what you want. But my advice would be not to 'chicken out' and go for a shorter needle length. (I know its tempting, but maybe look into numbing cream instead, like I am.)

I've rolled twice now with a 1.5mm to the point of drawing blood. I just noticed I'm flaking some skin today, which I take as a good sign (I never had that in the 1½ year of rolling with a 1.0mm).

The 2.5mm roller is in the mail, and I plan to switch to that immediately. I want to really HURT my scalp, as counter-intuitive as it might sound. I just pray that I can stand the pain somehow.
If not, I'm going to risk the numbing cream.
I say risk, as I don't know if the cream itself might have detrimental effects on my scalp, and thereby, my hair.

Sparky4444

Reaction score
I like the suggestion from sparx4444 about rolling in stages

now I have a few rollers with different sized needles I might use them all each session.

It might make sense...the smaller needle should soften it up a bit first...I will do that next session with the 0.5mm first, then the **gulp** 1.5mm :sobbing: But I think the Japanese mint oil will help a lot...

DesperateOne

Banned
Reaction score
Up until before I came across this new study that some of us are trying to replicate, I rolled my scalp every Friday with a 1.0mm 192 needle roller. I had been doing this for a little more than 1½ year. For 5 months within this 1½ year period, I also applied Minoxidil to my hairline and temples.

While rolling, I never drew blood. I did press fairly hard, and it hurt like a b**ch.

I had given up on the whole dermarolling thing, but I somehow still kept doing it, perhaps hoping for a miracle.

So, fast forward to now. I'm now thinking that either I'm a really bad responder to dermarolling and Minoxidil in general - or I simply did not wound severely enough for all these months.

Take this info and do with it what you want. But my advice would be not to 'chicken out' and go for a shorter needle length. (I know its tempting, but maybe look into numbing cream instead, like I am.)

I've rolled twice now with a 1.5mm to the point of drawing blood. I just noticed I'm flaking some skin today, which I take as a good sign (I never had that in the 1½ year of rolling with a 1.0mm).

The 2.5mm roller is in the mail, and I plan to switch to that immediately. I want to really HURT my scalp, as counter-intuitive as it might sound. I just pray that I can stand the pain somehow.
If not, I'm going to risk the numbing cream.
I say risk, as I don't know if the cream itself might have detrimental effects on my scalp, and thereby, my hair.

That's good info, and goes well with what we have seen so far, really harsh wounding is the way to go. I feel the same way about the pain and worried about the numbing cream. I saw in a video a doctor said he didn't recommended using creams as it might cause nerve damage or even worse in our case follicle damage. I might have to take up drinking when I do this, haha.

For those who are saying that .5 and then the 1.5, well I did just that yesterday and didnt notice a difference.

closetmetrosexual

Established Member
Reaction score
I saw in a video a doctor said he didn't recommended using creams as it might cause nerve damage or even worse in our case follicle damage.

OK, that's it. I'm not going near any numbing cream.

I think we need to look into alternatives.
The most obvious one that springs to mind is a good, old fashioned ice pack to numb the skin before we roll.
Have not tried it yet, but I'm guessing it will help somewhat.

Someone has mentioned peppermint oil. This is something to look into as well. Although I remain cautious with regard to applying it undiluted.

I wonder if massaging the scalp first might make it easier to roll. Possibly just the opposite... since it will bring in more blood flow.

DesperateOne

Banned
Reaction score
yes, massaging should bring more pain. I don't really think that the oil will numb anything, even worse it will absorb too much of it if not diluted. I have some essential oils and they smell really strong,
just one drop covers the entire room. So I am hesitant to try something like that undiluted. At any rate, the ice cubes sounds like a good idea, so I will have to try it out next session.

:devil:

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just dermarolled yesterday seeing how last week I wasn't very vigorous with my session. I know I pressed harder this time, but I get this weird feeling that each time I dermaroll, I bleed more easily than the following week. It's been about 4-5 sessions of dermarolling and I've yet to see any positive results from using minoxidil and CB with it. I'm going to be ordering RU next week as well and get back on it.

Also, I've gone against waiting a full 24 hours before applying Minoxidil and applied it around 9 hours later. I don't believe waiting 24 hours is in line with the healing time simply because the microneedling wounds heal extremely quickly, probably within the 24 hour period.

Here's how I sliced up my scalp.

13-09-15-right-temple.jpg

13-09-15-left-temple.jpg

13-09-15-front.jpg

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
I just dermarolled yesterday seeing how last week I wasn't very vigorous with my session. I know I pressed harder this time, but I get this weird feeling that each time I dermaroll, I bleed more easily than the following week. It's been about 4-5 sessions of dermarolling and I've yet to see any positive results from using minoxidil and CB with it. I'm going to be ordering RU next week as well and get back on it.

Also, I've gone against waiting a full 24 hours before applying Minoxidil and applied it around 9 hours later. I don't believe waiting 24 hours is in line with the healing time simply because the microneedling wounds heal extremely quickly, probably within the 24 hour period.

13-09-15-left-temple.jpg

13-09-15-front.jpg

Good stuff Hell! don't forget the actual temple.. and missing frontline ...

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Good stuff Hell! don't forget the actual temple.. and missing frontline ...

The crappy part now is that I've got these really thin brown spots, almost like scabs, leftover from the blood.

DesperateOne

Banned
Reaction score

13-09-15-left-temple.jpg

13-09-15-front.jpg

Holly crap man, you're really far in into Norwood 6 territory. I remember your RU applications and saw how much you had. You are bleeding like a pig, certainly nothing like I wound myself. I will be trying out the way you do it, but I don't seem to bleed too much I don't know why.

Sparky4444

Reaction score
The crappy part now is that I've got these really thin brown spots, almost like scabs, leftover from the blood.

I have a couple of those as well

- - - Updated - - -

yes, massaging should bring more pain. I don't really think that the oil will numb anything, even worse it will absorb too much of it if not diluted. I have some essential oils and they smell really strong,
just one drop covers the entire room. So I am hesitant to try something like that undiluted. At any rate, the ice cubes sounds like a good idea, so I will have to try it out next session.

:devil:

You're fears are totally unfounded...I use Japanese mint oil all the time to help with inflammed muscles, headaches...I've put it on my temples, forehead, jaw, etc...it works miracles...I haven't tried it with needling, but I can't see how it won't help

Kirby

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been rolling on a scalp with hair longer than Hellouser's?

Hellouser, what is your exact rolling regimen, may I ask?

Wish there was a clinic or whatever to get this done professionally, TBH. I know if I attempt it I'll try once and **** up badly then give up.

DesperateOne

Banned
Reaction score
I have a couple of those as well

- - - Updated - - -

You're fears are totally unfounded...I use Japanese mint oil all the time to help with inflammed muscles, headaches...I've put it on my temples, forehead, jaw, etc...it works miracles...I haven't tried it with needling, but I can't see how it won't help

Well someone said peppermint or something like that, maybe Japanese oil may be better.

odalbak

Established Member
Reaction score

Just curious,

1. how did you hear about dermarolling for hair growth initially or even had the idea?

2. if it hurt like a b**ch why did you keep dermarolling for 18 months considered this was just a personal experiment? That's a lot of efforts and pain for something untested, isn't it?

3. why are you suddenly interested again in something that failed and made you suffer uselessly for so long, to the point of looking for further information on it and posting a message on a website on which you had posted only 6 times before?

4. considering you had wounded your scalp for 18 months!, how come you didn't mention doing it not even once in your previous posts on HairLossTalk.com?

Please answer these questions. Thank you.

You know what, it's weird because I do use a 192 1.5mm inserting the needles entirely and very slowly in the 3 recommended directions all over my shaved scalp for about 60 minutes and I almost …don't bleed. A few drops here and there. It's either we don't have the same blood irrigation through the scalp (my vessels may be smaller or tighter) or there's more fibrosis in me, or… I don't know.

It's been about 4-5 sessions of dermarolling and I've yet to see any positive results from using minoxidil and CB with it.

Are you sure you don't even have lots of thin vellus hair all over like me and Squeegee have?

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Holly crap man, you're really far in into Norwood 6 territory. I remember your RU applications and saw how much you had. You are bleeding like a pig, certainly nothing like I wound myself. I will be trying out the way you do it, but I don't seem to bleed too much I don't know why.

I'm about an NW3 with thinning, I'm still VERY far from being a full NW6. Its all in the depth of field from the photo that is misleading.

- - - Updated - - -

You know what, it's weird because I do use a 192 1.5mm inserting the needles entirely and very slowly in the 3 recommended directions all over my shaved scalp for about 60 minutes and I almost …don't bleed. A few drops here and there. It's either we don't have the same blood irrigation through the scalp (my vessels may be smaller or tighter) or there's more fibrosis in me, or… I don't know.

Are you sure you don't even have lots of thin vellus hair all over like me and Squeegee have?

I really don't see ANY vellus hairs coming out from anywhere, even my hairline is starting to be comprised of only terminal hairs. I'm going to continue with the dermarolling for a while, see how it goes.

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone been rolling on a scalp with hair longer than Hellouser's?

PrettyFly83 has been going at it for at least 2 months, he's had some great results.

Hellouser, what is your exact rolling regimen, may I ask?

I don't have one. I just press hard enough to ensure that 1.5mm of the dermaroller is being utilized it.

closetmetrosexual

Established Member
Reaction score

1. how did you hear about dermarolling for hair growth initially or even had the idea?

2. if it hurt like a b**ch why did you keep dermarolling for 18 months considered this was just a personal experiment? That's a lot of efforts and pain for something untested, isn't it?

3. why are you suddenly interested again in something that failed and made you suffer uselessly for so long, to the point of looking for further information on it and posting a message on a website on which you had posted only 6 times before?

4. considering you had wounded your scalp for 18 months!, how come you didn't mention doing it not even once in your previous posts on HairLossTalk.com?

1. I can't recall. But someone had success needling with a single needle. This was an old post in some hairloss forum. He was ripped apart by all the doubters, as per usual.
I also saw a few Youtube videos that had a few people claim success with dermarolling.

2. Already answered that in my initial post.

3. Already answered that in my initial post.

4. Why would I?

Status
Not open for further replies.