The Frequent "official" Origin Of My Recent Failures With Women

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
No love for GoT in here?

I love that show too...there is a lot of great TV

I never read the books so I don't know if that is a different perspective. I assume a lot of these guys read the books first (maybe I am wrong)

I loved Mad Men too.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
First season of Twin Peaks was incredible, Lynch was in the zone, but then it fell off. Fire Walk With Me was pretty bad.

Boardwalk Empire is another great one, especially the first few seasons. It looks incredible, I think it was really expensive to produce. I loved the men's fashion and the Italian Mafia storyline in particular.

EDIT: How could I forget Michael Shannon as Agent van Alden, f*****g great actor and character.

SteveTabernack

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I love that show too...there is a lot of great TV

I never read the books so I don't know if that is a different perspective. I assume a lot of these guys read the books first (maybe I am wrong)

I loved Mad Men too.

I'm watching Mad Men currently. I don't know, it's a little hard to get through sometimes, not exactly the most action packed show. Definitely well made though.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm watching Mad Men currently. I don't know, it's a little hard to get through sometimes, not exactly the most action packed show. Definitely well made though.

I enjoyed Mad Men but some episodes weren't particularly entertaining. Its very slow moving and I think sometimes it was trying to be too smart/subtle for its own good. Would def smash Don Dra- I mean January Jones

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
I had to be on with my political team lately

A7bXSen.jpg

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
First season of Twin Peaks was incredible, Lynch was in the zone, but then it fell off. Fire Walk With Me was pretty bad.

Boardwalk Empire is another great one, especially the first few seasons. It looks incredible, I think it was really expensive to produce. I loved the men's fashion and the Italian Mafia storyline in particular.

I agree with you about Lynch--i think he is a mad genius in some ways and at that time period (late 80s/early 90s) it was probably so hard for someone like him to work within network prime time TV.
He came to a theater near me few months back to give a talk about his life and work and if he comes again I am going to go see him. I am in such a better head space than like 5 month ago.

Boardwalk Empire was beautiful looking I watched first season but fell off, one day may try to re watch.

That is why I was bummed about Vinyl it was so authentic to time period. Such detail.
Loved that 70s period of NYC music scene.

SteveTabernack

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I enjoyed Mad Men but some episodes weren't particularly entertaining. Its very slow moving and I think sometimes it was trying to be too smart/subtle for its own good. Would def smash Don Dra- I mean January Jones

Ah yes, Mr. Draper is the embodiment of looks "theory". Barely speaks, gets all the womenz.

The Norwood game in Mad Men is in general strong. Adds more fuel to the inferiority complex...

Anyone seen HBO's newish show Billions? Great mano a mano show, and lots of screen time for baldies.

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
Missed you @Pasbrillantebrunette

Top 5 shows for me:
Buffy
Veronica Mars
Dexter
Breaking Bad
Angel

I'm surprised at the lack of love for Dexter here. His monologues on how he has to put on a mask when with other people ... the first time I saw it I was like YES, this is me!!! It was like I had these feelings but had not been able to articulate them, and then I heard it on the show.

CaptainForehead

Reaction score

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ah yes, Mr. Draper is the embodiment of looks "theory". Barely speaks, gets all the womenz.

The Norwood game in Mad Men is in general strong. Adds more fuel to the inferiority complex...

Anyone seen HBO's newish show Billions? Great mano a mano show, and lots of screen time for baldies.

Explicitly acknowledged in one of the last few episodes. One of the shorter nerds rails at him and says everything good that happens to him is due to how he looks.

Patrick_Bateman

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am pretty concerned about her...
I missed all of you! (except Dante of course ^^) I had to be on with my political team lately and then one guy harassed me and everything... but I think I am back.
We missed you. I was about to write you a pm asking if you were okay.
What happened when you got harassed? I will find him and kill him.
5b1.gif

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

Yes I like Billions and I also like Homeland, they were back to back for a while.

Billions is really interesting.

I actually thought of this forum in one episode but never mentioned it.

It was the scene where Wendy the hot wife and Chuck the balding, over weight, facially unattractive Us Attorny were in couples counciling.

she mentioned how it annoyed her that when they were going to meet friends for a casual dinner he had to wear his suit from the office...that she took it as a constant reminder of 'who' he is and it rubbed her wrong.

He said "You think i don't know how people see us."

he explains he knows people look at them as mismatched...and that he did wear his suits to remind them who he is and what he accomplished.

It was fascinating and i think for their storyline was powerful admission to her because I think she was unaware that it effected him.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Veronica Mars

oh god, Kristen Bell

Rops6A1.gif

I'm surprised at the lack of love for Dexter here. His monologues on how he has to put on a mask when with other people ... the first time I saw it I was like YES, this is me!!! It was like I had these feelings but had not been able to articulate them, and then I heard it on the show.

SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKER! Dexter's first 2 seasons were fantastic. Some of the acting from the support cast was atrocious though. I think it became tired and gradually got worse and I stopped watching after Season 4, the Trinity killer I think that was? John Lithgow is always good.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

Top 5 shows for me:
Buffy
Veronica Mars
Dexter
Breaking Bad
Angel

dexter was also fantastic.

Buffy in my opinion is an under rated show.
I felt that even at that time period it was first on.

the first (think 5?) seasons, which ever season where Buffy died first time to save her sister in my opinion was perfect in trajectory. For show, character arcs, resolutions...I think the mistake in a critical way was to push past that season--but I still enjoyed it.
I think that show was at least from the 2nd season on was so carefully planned ahead and fore-shadowed perfectly.
I don't know of a show before Buffy that seemed so seamless like that where if you go back and re watch it you can pick up in earlier seasons 'where' they are headed.

SteveTabernack

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

Top 5 shows for me:
Buffy
Veronica Mars
Dexter
Breaking Bad
Angel

I'm with you on Dexter brah. The last season was pretty pathetic though. A couple of other shaky seasons in between as well.

One has to wonder, would we all have been sympathetic towards this serial killer if he had been ugly? Hmm..

Dexter suffered from an issue I see with many shows. Often shows have an interesting protagonist who carries the show, but the supporting characters are all sh*t and don't really matter. That's an area where GoT shines, many captivating characters.