Very Impressive Dermarolling And Minxodil Results - From Tressless

Bill_Russo

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This may or may not be interesting to the average reader, but I want to share here that today was D-Day (Dermarolling Day) for me. For the first time, the armoured dermaroller landed on the scalp of Normandy. I hope it did a good job at squashing the DHT troops to the ground. It may sound strange, but the glide of the needles was nearly relaxing. Nowhere as painful as i was expecting
Good luck! May the regrowth be with ya.
About this article -> What does "inductive dermis" mean?
I'm wondering the same thing. Tried looking it up, but didn't turn up anything revealing.
If anyone more versed could shed some light it would be appreciated.

ZenHead

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wouldn;t the flakes being excessive dead skin?
Perhaps look into your hormone profile or other means for inflammation being the cause
Nah dude it’s the minoxidil for sure, it’s like a layer of dried PG

ToLGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Have a question to the guys who do this stuff with Minoxidill, but without AA. What about popular theory that Minoxidill loses all gains over short period of time without anti androgens?
Well, it is not a "theory". It is something that has been empirically assessed by both anecdotal evidence, as well as long term scientific studies. Gains from minoxidil are usually lost in between 1-2 years after starting the treatment. It happened to me as well.
Of course, we don't know if this will happen with microneedling + minoxidil, considering that needling seems to induce regrowth by a somewhat different mechanism than minoxidil.
Anyways, for a fearless and carefree person that is not afraid of sides and wants his hair back with all his might, jumping into finas is a good ideas, given that finasteride sides are low-incidence.
However, I understand most people would like to have an effective treatment without altering their hormones, which is totally understandable and is the reason most people are active in this thread. After a couple of years, when we have more long term data, and if this eventually worked for me, I'll consider dropping finasteride very gradually, even though I have had no sides to date.

Chromeo

Established Member
Reaction score
Gains are lost if you stop needling and aren't blocking DHT, as things eventually return to the way they were. I'm sure most of us would be willing to suffer through maintenance sessions though, if we see a good amount of regrowth.

ToLGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Gains are lost if you stop needling and aren't blocking DHT, as things eventually return to the way they were. I'm sure most of us would be willing to suffer through maintenance sessions though, if we see a good amount of regrowth.
I wouldn't call it suffering. Guys, this is just 15 mins once a week. ONCE A WEEK! Thats absolutely nothing, even if it hurts. I assure you, for those who feel great pain, that you will get used to it.

Chromeo

Established Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't call it suffering. Guys, this is just 15 mins once a week. ONCE A WEEK! Thats absolutely nothing, even if it hurts. I assure you, for those who feel great pain, that you will get used to it.

What I mean is that it's not enjoyable, but definitely worth it if you see results.

Chromeo

Established Member
Reaction score
...and maintenance rolls/needling would be less than once a week. Possibly once a month or less.

ryan r

Established Member
Reaction score
About to start my first session. When I disinfect my roller, do I wash off the disinfectant with water and then I just start rolling? Also, Do you guys roll with damp hair? After a shower? I got a 1,5mm roller, very curious as to how much this will hurt :p

Bill_Russo

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
About to start my first session. When I disinfect my roller, do I wash off the disinfectant with water and then I just start rolling? Also, Do you guys roll with damp hair? After a shower? I got a 1,5mm roller, very curious as to how much this will hurt :p
I'm not sure about that one. I think people just let it dry, but don't quote me on this one (I'm gonna use a pen and change the cartridges after every session).
I personally am gonna do it while I'm showering.
The general consensus is that the top of the head and the crown are tolerable and the front part hurts like a bad son of a ding-dong. However, there's a fair share of people saying it's relaxing.
Good luck!

ryan r

Established Member
Reaction score
So I did my first session and it didn't hurt that bad (at all), some parts are more sensitive yes.

I thought it was kind of a mindful thing to do yes, so I get the relaxing part. I'm really wondering if this will help though. It just feels like some sort of masochistic massage lol. Like how is this seriously gonna work? A bunch of small needles?

Scalp didn't feel bad at all afterwards btw. Do you guys use styling products afterwards?

I'm already kind of looking forward to the next session, too bad I have to wait a whole week. I may have to push harder next time though, I was kind of careful this first session.

byebyehair

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So I did my first session and it didn't hurt that bad (at all), some parts are more sensitive yes.

I thought it was kind of a mindful thing to do yes, so I get the relaxing part. I'm really wondering if this will help though. It just feels like some sort of masochistic massage lol. Like how is this seriously gonna work? A bunch of small needles?

Scalp didn't feel bad at all afterwards btw. Do you guys use styling products afterwards?

I'm already kind of looking forward to the next session, too bad I have to wait a whole week. I may have to push harder next time though, I was kind of careful this first session.
I also finished my first session yesterday...
My dermapen is crap. I cant move it around:
When i set the needle depth on 1.5 mm the needles will not go fully back in the device but will always stick 0.25mm or so out. So if I move it around my head it will leave scratches :(
I make like a dabbing movement to avoid that which is defenitly taken longer and it is easyer to miss some parts of the head. But besides that it is working as supposed to do.

Bill_Russo

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
When i set the needle depth on 1.5 mm the needles will not go fully back in the device but will always stick 0.25mm or so out. So if I move it around my head it will leave scratches :(
I make like a dabbing movement to avoid that which is defenitly taken longer and it is easyer to miss some parts of the head. But besides that it is working as supposed to do.
Damn... What pen are you using?

ToLGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Damn... What pen are you using?
Another possibility is that rather than being a flaw of the pen itself, is that the type of skin or scalp will determine whether you can easily glide it over or not. A friend of mine and I bought exactly the same pen. He can slide around, I can't. He has less hair than me tho, so perhaps my higher density makes things more difficult for the pen to move around freely. Also, my skin seems to be hard as f*** coz my pen gets stuck sometimes when I press hard enough, apparently the strength of the pushing motor of the pen is not enough to make the needles penetrate fully into some areas of my scalp. That doesn't seem to happen to him. Remember it's exactly the same model, bought to the same seller at the same time.

ryan r

Established Member
Reaction score
It is advised to not put any topical on the scalp until 24 hours after the needling session. Not so sure if styling products would be safe right after needling.

I know, its asking for trouble, but I didn't feel like going out in public looking like a dork

Bill_Russo

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Another possibility is that rather than being a flaw of the pen itself, is that the type of skin or scalp will determine whether you can easily glide it over or not. A friend of mine and I bought exactly the same pen. He can slide around, I can't. He has less hair than me tho, so perhaps my higher density makes things more difficult for the pen to move around freely. Also, my skin seems to be hard as f*** coz my pen gets stuck sometimes when I press hard enough, apparently the strength of the pushing motor of the pen is not enough to make the needles penetrate fully into some areas of my scalp. That doesn't seem to happen to him. Remember it's exactly the same model, bought to the same seller at the same time.
I see. Have you tried relaxing the scalp before a session? A tight scalp is harder to penetrate. Massaging it might help.

Francky85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Are you wetting your hair/head before you start? I always make sure my hair is nice and wet which helps loads.....as it starts to dry out, I the needles start to stick more.

ryan r

Established Member
Reaction score
After the session, no minoxidil for a day, but also no touching/scratching the scalp? Or is it not that serious. What about a shampoo the next morning?

ryan r

Established Member
Reaction score
Buy rubbing alcohol which is very cheap to disinfect.

Damp hair stops hair getting tangled into the roller.

Do crown first and then the hairline. Pain will be twice as much on the hairline.
Yes I have a spray with alcohol in it. But the alcohol shouldn't get in to your scalp I take it? So after the disinfection, I rinsed the roller with water.